For those with religious beliefs...

Do you go to a church (or temple or whatever your religion has)? If not, why not?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do. I didn't used to, but I find that when I would pray/study/contemplate things, i'd get stuck all in my own views and ideas, and i didn't really get anywhere. Being surrounded by lots of other people, their ideas, and sermons, makes me learn and reconsider a lot of things and I am definitely getting way ahead in my understanding of faith.

Also, the social aspect is interesting, and I enjoy having volunteer/ charitable activities prepared for me. I also had a fabulous Sunday School, where the pastor did an overall review of the Bible for the year, reading through the entire thing and answered our questions and told us what he believed and why (my church is not a "my way is the only way" sort of church), but it was still very interesting. When you read a book, you can't ask it questions or laugh when it embarrasses itself discussing Onan or whatever. Good fun! I have also shared books with them. Can't wait for today!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I do not. I went to church all growing up and never had a problem with it, will still go when I am back home. But I look at it like my faith is my own. I don't need someone telling me how I should believe. I have a personal relationship with God. I don't know, it is kind of hard to explain. I guess I feel like, most everyone I know who goes to church all believe the same. They have no real personal opinion of their religion, it is all what they have been told. I went to Sunday school as a child, I went through Caticism (Lutheran), was confirmed. But I have since grown into my own faith. I don't like having someone tell me what I should and should not feel or believe in.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No, because there isnt really one around here other than the UU church. And although I wouldnt mind attending Ive never been able to get my family up and out of the house by 930a on a Sunday LOL.

I could try and join a coven, I suppose, but thats not really my thing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I'd LOVE to find a UU church to go to, but the closest is over an hour away, and we just can't manage that. I do study and reflect on my own though - constantly. Faith/religion is my passion and I'm constantly cultivating my spirituality, so even though I don't go to church that often (only when I visit my family), I do put a lot of focus into my faith. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No. The nearest one to me is over an hour away, and the nature of blots would make it a 2 day trip.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No, I don't attend anything at this time, but I would if we had something closer. I have been considering going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but the closest one is about an hour away. Close enough that I believe we will visit, but I'm not sure if we would be able to go every week or really often. I would attend a Buddhist temple if there was one close, but again too far away. I would be interested in doing a Buddhist retreat with my husband when my son gets a little older (if my parents can watch him for a few days), but I wouldn't want to leave him for long at this time. I do enjoy meditation here at home, and love being out in nature, so I don't feel I have to attend a church for my beliefs, but I do miss a sense of community that goes with attendance of church or some kind of group of like-minded individuals. I wish we had a UUA church near us, because I think it would be a perfect fit for our views.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• As a woman I'm not required to go to mosque, I have the freedom to choose to make prayers at home or at mosque. However, I do usually attend jumah (friday) prayer every week with my family. It gives us a sense of community and brother/sister-hood with our fellow muslims. It also gives me inspiration to hear the khutba (sermon).
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 12:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I don't attend anything but my quiet space where I get in touch with nature and reflect on positive vibes. I used to attend church but everyone has their own views on what is being said and it became confusing with the exception of the Catholic church I went to which was very strict and I never learned anything in Sunday school.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We do attend church, it is a non denominational bible church. We don't make it every sunday, with a new baby it is hard to up and out with 4 kids on time. I am hoping once the baby starts sleeping a little more regularly we will be attending on a more regularly.
    DEEANNALAMB81

Answer by DEEANNALAMB81 at 7:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Not often. Mostly because we no longer life in my home town, where my home church is, and I don't feel up to looking for a new one, especially at the point I am in my spirituality. My home church knows me and loves me and I feel comfortable being myself there, but I would feel weird going to a new church, possibly being questioned or having to form new relationships of faith, knowing the way I believe is considered heretical by so many, especially living in the Bible Belt (I'm a Christian Universalist, my home church is a Methodist church, they've known me since I was 11 or 12 years old). That and I have a 3 1/2 year old I'm not comfortable leaving with just anyone, so I'd be conflicted with making myself let him stay in the nursery or trying to keep him quiet in the sanctuary, both of which would leave me unable to really take in the service and consider whether the church is a good fit.... (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2011