What does kindergarten screening test for?

My son starts kindergarten this year, and he is a brilliant little boy, but worries that he isn't smart enough for kindergarten.
He can write all his letters, spell and write his name by himself with no visual. He knows how to do simple math, and tell basic time- like 9:00 and 3:00. He also knows simple money things- just pennies.
I would really like to know what else he needs to know for kindergarten so i can help prepare him more...
Thanks for the help!!!

sillymumof2

Asked by sillymumof2 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They won't do any of that in the screening. They do an eye test, simple reasoning questions, balance on one foot. They are looking for real problems. Your son knows more than enough. Is is very prepared. Good job mom!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• really> that is it? I was all worried about it too. thank you so much!
    sillymumof2

Comment by sillymumof2 (original poster) at 7:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Our school does do knowledge of letters and numbers using flash cards. They also do the balance and jumping on one foot. They did DD's one day when she was at pre-school. Not sure what else, but I'm sure your son will have no problems!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It sounds like your son was picking up on your concerns. He is doing great and will do fine. Different school districts have different expectations. Colors are another thing that they are often tested on.
    In our area, kindergarten is half-day. They do have a full day kindergarten that is designed for the students who need extra help to bring them up to the level to fit into the first grade and be successful. This is usually for students who did not go to preschool or have not been exposed to learning letters, vocabulary, colors, etc.
    Your little guy will do great. Build him up good self image is important in being successful.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes, please don't worry too much! Kindergarten should be fun, not stressful. If you stress, he will stress, and nobody should stress over grade school. I think the single best thing you can do is make school exciting and fun. I knew a lot of people who burnt out really early, and I've seen a lot of kids screaming and refusing to go. Even in Kindergarten.

Our district does not demand anything in particular going in to Kindergarten. Yours may be different. Find your county/district page. They will say what kids should know.

In Kindergarten, our kids learn all their letters, numbers, how to count to 100, simple math, start reading and writing, learn to tie shoes, their address and phone number, how to behave in class and be good friends. That's their year. Being too prepared makes them bored when they're in school, too. They need to have stuff left to learn.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Don't worry, your son is way ahead of the game on knowledge. You will be shocked when you see how many children had no preparation at all for kindergarten and don't know their A,B,C's or colors.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am sorry I don't have an answer for you. My dd is going into the 1st grade this year, when she started kindergarden last year they didn't do a screening for her to get it she just automatigly got in when she turned 5
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I always thought they needed to know their ABC's and how to write their name!! At least around here they do!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 10:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I dont think there is much to worry about- there are kids that go into K that do not know their abc's or how to hold a pencil properly.. But if you are wanting to know more details check out WORLDBOOK .... or go to your library & check out What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My 4th child is starting kindergarten and this is our 3rd school for kindergarten and we've never had kindergarten testing (with 2 public schools and 1 Catholic). As long as they met the cut off date they got in.
    That being said your kid knows more than my 2 middle kids did in 1st grade. And none of them learned time before 2nd grade (well, it was touched on at the end of 1st grade). My 5yo can write her name, knows her letters, numbers and shapes, can count to 80 or something and behaves like she's 7. She's been ready for kindergarten since she was 4 but she didn't meet the early entry date here so she had to wait another year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011