Need Help potty training!!!

my little boy will be three next month. and still has absolutly no interest in using the potty. My oldest made it easy and LOVED the potty. But i have no idea what to do for my baby. I have tried everything i could think of. Anyone have any suggestions?

sillymumof2

Asked by sillymumof2 at 7:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DD never really showed any interest in the potty until I started rewarding her with M&M's.

So maybe find something that he really likes that won't cost you an arm and a leg if he gets several a day and give as rewards?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Many little boys take longer to potty train, very normal! If he has no interest maybe he just isn't quite ready. I would give it a few more months. You never know, a flip could switch one day and he could just train himself in a week!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My kids were like that. Once they turned 3, I just waited until I had 3 days to stay home. I said "Now you are a big boy! You will wear big boy underwear!" In the morning I put them in underwear. I took them every 1/2 hour to start. The first day there were a lot of accidents. Day 2 they started to get it. Day 3 they were trained. The key is to go right to underwear and stay home. You want to be close to a bathroom at all times! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My boys all finished training after 3. The eldest was trained for daytime (for the most part) by age 2 but nighttime didn't happen til about 3 1/2. My middle boy trained in about a week, but he was about 3, and my youngest boy wouldn't even start til sometime around 3. However he still had occassional accidents at night til about 5 or 6. When my daughter started waking up in the morning dry, I just put her on the potty right away. After a week of that she came to me with her hand holding herself and saying "potty momma potty" She never had an accident nor wore a diaper after that. She was my second and taught me that when they are ready there really is no fight about it. So don't stress. Pay attention to him and when he acts like he needs to have a bowel movement sit him on the potty with a book he will enjoy, or read to him. Then praise him for being such a big and wonderful boy.
    Tess48612

Answer by Tess48612 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You might say something like three year olds learn to use the potty. It is something he learns to do at that age, not something that is commanded of him. And then do something like the 3 day method......devoting an entire weekend/week to learning. Have simple rewards/incentives ready - dollar store items or candies. Beforehand everyone else in the house starts talking about when they feel the urge to go and then declaring they are going to the potty. Let him see you and DH use it. I read recently that it helps a lot to focus on feeling the urge and acting on it that really helps kids. Just ideas.......GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• First of all you tell your son. your almost three, your getting too old for diapers.Then you put him in training pants during the day and diapers at night. During the day you might make it fun and have him shoot and aim at a couple cheerios in the toilet.and hit the bullseye. and at night don't give him nothing to drink 1 hour before bed. And make sure he goes before bed. And then everytime he does good . give him s sticker of his favorite charater . And place it on a special chart.. to show him how much better it is going in the potty rather than in his diapers. But if he's 3yrs old have him wear regular undies with his favorite charater maybe he won't want to get them wet. and at night you can put him in training pants .But when hes four regular underwear all the way . both day and night. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2011