My kid fusses like crazy!

My lil one is going to be 3 next month, and he fusses so much! I try not to give in to it, but half the time i don't recognize it as fussing. He listens to my boyfriend incredibly well and wont even begin to fuss at his house. HIt's so difficult to make him behave the same way at my home. Any suggestions on how to recognize, and keep him from being so fussy, and whiney?

sillymumof2

Asked by sillymumof2 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is hitting your button. Where as the BF is listnening and responding in an unemotional manner.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My mom was a school counselor and taught parenting classes, too. Some of the best things I ever saw her teach, and I have used them many times, go something like this: The first one is a verbal warning to him for misbehavior. That mean's getting down on his level, on your knees, look at him square in the eyes and let him know his behavior is NOT acceptable. (Kids DO NOT respond to yelling or to a raised voice.They respond to direct correction and a firm warning.) With that, let him know what the consequences are for his behavior should he continue...i.e.,let him know if he continues he will go to "time out" or to a "naughty spot" and NOT in his room. His room is his safe haven, and there he feels happy and secure. The time out place or naughty spot should be in a very neutral place, like steps if you have any in your house, or in a corner so there is nothing to distract him. You can even use a foam mat for the naughty spot!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 8:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Let him sit in the "time out place" or the "naughty spot" 1 minute for each year he is old...3 minutes for age 3, 4 minutes for age 4, etc. See if he doesn't respond better to that. When kids learn there are consequences for their behavior, he will eventually get it. At the same time, find some kind of reward to reward him for "good" behavior. It you have corrected him for something that he does NOT do again, then he gets a reward, and let him know why! I have seen people use a poster, or chart, and they earn points, or feathers, or whatever, post them on the chart, and when so many add up, (say 3 or 4) they get to do something really big...like go get ice cream, or a treat, or play a video game. Of course, if they DO NOT correct their actions, and the "time out" or "naughty spot" doesn't work, then you take privileges away...no tv, no video games, etc. They eventually learn what they should or shouldn't do! Good luck!
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 8:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My daughter is exactly the same way with me. I just tell her that is not how to get mommy's attention. She has to use her words or I put her somewhere where she can calm down and then come out and tell me what she wants. I don't think it's something to put him in time out for because he's not doing something wrong. Try to ignore the whining and tell him that when he stops you will listen to him.
    llomeli

Answer by llomeli at 10:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• try distraction,,if he starts fussing and wants his way,,try saying oh whats that on tv,,or oohh look did your toy just move,or just any thing realy..if one distraction u say doesnt work keeping saying different stuff,something will grab his attention
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011