is 5 years old to late to begin speech thearpy and have improvemnets

I was wondering about my daughter starting speech therapy this was her first year in school her main battle is making sentences I thought this was something that she would grow out of I'm depressed almost everyday because I think I waited to long but we start therapy next week I just hope it's not to late. She plays fine with other kids. she reads easy reader books, she knows colors, months, numbers, and can wirte her name in fact she is the best witer in her class something that makes me smile. does anyone have any advice for me as far as having waited and how guilty I feel now

bbrown404

Asked by bbrown404 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How could it be "too late"? It's never too late. Stop beating yourself up. You have been making the best decisions you could with the information you had at the time. That's all any parent can ever do. You've done great, mama. You're getting her help now. That's great! She'll be fine, she just needs a little boost in this one area.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• please dont feel guilty. you are going to speech therapy with her now. thats really great. at least you care about your daughters little problem. my cousin-in-law doesnt care about her sons speech-problem :(

And no, its NEVER too late to help and bring your child to speech therapy. you thought it would go away by itself when she starts school. Well in some cases that work. in your daughters it didnt. but thats not a problem. bring her to speech therapy and support her. Tell her (in case its a problem for her and kids picking on her), that she can always count on you and this is nothing bad.

i think you are a good mother, especially you are getting help for you little girl

i wish good luck! :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It is never too late...don't borrow trouble mama she will get there! Just get her into speach and watch her go!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's not too late. Remember that children develop differently, some later than others. Also there are certain sounds that children cannot make until they are 5, 6, 7, and 8. Most children don't start speech therapy until they have started kindergarten and been evaluated at the school anyways. So no, its not too late, it's perfectly fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's never to late. My DD is 7 and hearing impaired she has made a lot of progress in the sentence department with the help from speech therapy. Don't feel bad we as moms always hope it is something they will just out grow like other children. Over the next year I'm sure you will see a ton of progress.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Actually, you might be catching it early. My son is 5 and he just started speech therapy. His therapist told me we caught it early and that it would help him immensely as a result. She said most kids don't get evaluated and start therapy until 1st or 2nd grade, when they are having trouble with reading, and then they struggle more. He started 2 months ago, and I've already seen a huge improvement in his speech. Don't feel guilty. I didn't even notice the problems my son had - I just automatically understood him. She's getting help - that's what matters.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i didn't go to speech therapy until kindergarden or first grade, and i speak fine now
    :) it's never too late
    LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE

Answer by LuVzLiFeMoMwIfE at 3:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It's never too late to do what you think is best for your child(ren).
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I got custody of my nephews when the youngest was 51/2; his speech clarity was 2%. He is now at 75% after just over a year of speech therapy. He knew most of his colors, no numbers, no letters. Your daughter is a lot further than he was. She'll be fine. Don't wait though.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have a degree in speech pathology and everyone is correct. It is never to late to start. It sound as if your daughters receptive language is appropriate. She understands what is being said to her and she has learned many pre-kindergarten skills already. With some therapy now, she should make good progress towards speaking. Just be patient and ask her therapist what you can work on at home with her speech. Is your daughter in preschool or kindergarten now? One to one therapy is great, but being with children her own age and hearing their speech on a daily basis is sometimes just as beneficial! They imitate their peers speaking.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2008