First solids

So my DD is 3 months old and one of my friends lil boy is 2 wks younger and she is already giving him baby food. I personally think (along with alot of other ppl) that she over feeds him cause that boy has a bottle in his mouth 24/7! But we dont say anything, I was just wondering is it too early for solids? I really wanna start DD on food soon cause we are going on out honeymoon soon and want her to be used to food not just breastmilk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your friend started way too early. At the absolute earliest, solids could be introduced at 4 months but breastmilk is all the baby needs until 6 months.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes 3 months is earlier than recommended... It is recommended that breast feeding mothers wait until 6 months partly because of supply establishment. Formula fed babies are said to be 'okay' to take food at 4 months but IMO even then 6 months is better. Their stomachs are so little and the amount of food you give has no nutritional value it is just practice for later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The norm years ago (when I was a baby), was to start solids at 4 weeks (my mom still has the doctor's orders stating so). I started my own son at 3 weeks because formula alone wasn't cutting it. I started DD at about 3 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No solids until 6 months, unless for weight gain reasons. She won't take in enough solids at this age to affect how much breast milk she needs anyway. Think of what's best for you baby, not for your convenience.

Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Sometimes there are reasons for starting earlier, but the current recommendation is 6 months for a breastfed baby and 4 for formula. Solids have less calories per ounce than milk and formula. I don't understand why doctors suggest solids for weight gain. Babies generally take in less milk or formula when you add solids to their diet.

IMHO, solids make things more difficult with a LO as you need to bring more equipment with you when traveling. My twins have a June birthday and I waited until they were 6.5 months to start solids as I didn't want to deal with them during the Christmas holidays. It made visiting people a lot easier without having to bring high chairs, spoons, food, bibs, etc.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The AAP recommends you not give your baby solids until at least 6 months. Solids are not needed for the entire first year; it's just practice, so to speak. Breastfeeding is easier than spoon-feeding. And actually the easiest thing as far as solids goes is going straight to table foods (Google "baby-led solids");
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I started my son on "solids" when he was 3 months old. he is 21 months old now. he seemed to totally enjoy eating his food but i also fed him the bottle. but the bottle feeds were not as frequent. if u feel baby is ready go for it. by the way wear an apron to protect your clothing the first couple of feeds.
    pmbmom

Answer by pmbmom at 10:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The docs told me that at 4 months start fruit an at 6 months do veggies an then 8 months other's. but my sister who has a 3 month old has been giving him solids sence 2 months. So an hes fine but they ddint want u to give it to them early cuz of being allergic to foods. but my grandmother told me that she would give her kids solids a little after a month when they came home. an none of them have allergic reactions to any food. so im not sure but i will be waitting like i did with my first one cuz i dont want any problem an u can start giving the baby ceral i know thats ok. its all up to you talk to her doc my sis started feeding solids cuz he was hungery all the time so he needed it. bbut if shes not asking for more i wouldnt. breast milk is the best.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 11:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You can start baby cereal at 4 months just for practice, maybe just one tbsp per day. till baby is 6 months you can start him with solid. That's what I did and by 6 months he's pretty good at eating.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Just curious on those who fed their babies before 4 months... did they still have their tongue thrust response? Isn't it kind of futile to start solids before then? Otherwise, don't they gag and sputter since that is their natural instinct if they still have that response?
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 7:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2011