Why is it so hard for women to love their bodies?

Ran across this article this morning ....

~*~*~*~*~*~

Body Image Perception: Learning To Love The Body You Have Now

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-liddy-ma-pcc-cpcc/body-image-perception_b_873846.html?&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec3_lnk1|69952

From the article:

"Body image perception is often measured by assessing the difference between how a person thinks she appears and her ideal image of how she thinks she should look. For much of the female population, what they see and what they want to see is vastly different."

The article gives the following advice ...

"It IS possible to love your body as is.

As pervasive and insidious as it is, you can fly in the face of societal programming. Improving one's own body image perception is a process that occurs over time and requires shifting the way in which you define beauty and your own self-worth.

Key to making the shift to a positive body image perception is becoming acutely aware of the hidden messages about beauty that surround you. Recognizing the impact of these images and observing thought processes that lead you towards beliefs that undermine your self-love is an excellent place to start.

1.) Notice when women are being portrayed sexually to sell a product and notice airbrushed images that do not accurately portray the female form. Recognize the beliefs that you conjure up from these images about your own beauty.

2.) Question what you are looking at and the hidden intentions behind what you see. Oftentimes media images are intended to manipulate you into believing that you are not good enough so that you will then purchase a product.

3.) Form your own opinion about what it is to be beautiful. Include all of your amazing female
qualities in your definition. Connect with the exquisiteness of your body and appreciate the joy,
pleasure and life that it brings to you each day.

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 8:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Because our society has dictated what a woman should look like and if women do not meet that cookie cutter standard, we are very hard on ourselves.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• That's a nice article, but life isn't that simple. I was not much into media, still don't really look at magazines or watch commercials (I do think it is a major problem for many people, and this will help). But...

--My friends who are women and beautiful, all talked non-stop about their "flaws", which were nowhere near as big as mine. Yes, it showed me that I might be mis-perceiving my own flaws, but yet it was still depressing.

--Both my female and male friends spent a lot of time (to me) pointing out the flaws of other people, which reinforced the same thing. Chest too small? Laugh about it. Hips too big? Same. I can ignore the media, but who wants to be felt ugly by their friends, and particularly guys you might be interested in, who have now "told" you that everything you are physically is unattractive

The people you love and admire have immense power. Almost all of society buys into this "women's body" thing. Sad.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Honestly, I think it's because women are so critical of each other, it makes some women feel self conscious.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Even if women aren't into the media, men are and they look at certain women. The need to be "sexy" has run rampant. Of course women do not realize that being sexy means that men are looking at you in a sexual way. Being pretty, or attractive just isn't sufficient in today's society. There are bumper stickers that say "no fatties." Diets, pills and exercise equipment is advertised everywhere making people think that's they way you need to be. The rise in plastic surgery has women thinking they need to be bustier, have a bigger butt, no wrinkles, smaller or bigger nose etc. People are not taught that beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes clear through to the bone. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• As the mom of a 3 yr old daughter, I'm acutely aware of this problem & work to prevent over-emphasis on "looks". We (in our family) focus on "Treating others as you want to be treated." We brush out the tangles and put in pony tails for functional benefit, not because it's "so pretty." As a mom, I don't go on and on about "Does this make me look _____?" Or "I wish I looked like ____." I intentionally go weeks without shaving my legs (sorry to those readers who are disgusted by that :) My make-up is minimal, my hair care is basic and easy. My shopping is a few times a year, usually based on needs not fashion trends. We don't watch tv that emphasizes "drama and dysfunction." I don't buy tabloids or "beauty" mags. I may not turn heads on the streets, but I have a fantastic family and husband and I have relatively high/good self-esteem. I hope to pass those traits onto my daughter (and son).
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• As far as I am concern, I am beautiful, super model mommy and not by society standards neither I have flaws, I would love my baby fat to disappear sometimes, and various other things on the list, but as far as I am concerned if you don't like because I am not society perfect you can kiss my grits =)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 11:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I have always loved my body with all it's imperfection, but it is mine and the only one I get, so I strive to make it better by exerting it on a regular basis to keep all the parts looking good and running well.....the only one that needs to be pleased is ME!

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Because our society has dictated what a woman should look like and if women do not meet that cookie cutter standard, we are very hard on ourselves. [izsarejman]

You, sadly and unfortunately, hit the nail on the head. 

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Agree with Izsarejman 100%.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Because women are anxious to please, look pretty all the time, and hopefully ultimately escape the harsh judgement of other women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011