Anyone go through a self weaning with a toddler?

My daughter is 15 months and it seems nursing is not doing what it used to. She is having issues and/or just fighting sleep while nursing. She only nurses when she is sleppy, usually and then falls right to sleep while nursing. Now it seems she'd rather stay awake all hours or fuss at my boob. I'm not sure what to make of it.

What were soem signs your toddler let out when beginning to self wean?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 9:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son self-weaned at 20 months & for weeks before hand was less & less interested. Of course he was eating food, drinking other things. I believe it really does become a self-comfort thing and mine just didn't ask to nurse one day. I have to say, I was relieved as I was ready for it to be over with.

The thing my son continued to want was the snuggling and physical closeness. He used to rub my stomach while he nursed and continued to do that for years when he was really upset or over-tired. Try just holding her & snuggling instead of nursing when she's sleepy - it may be the nursing that is keeping her from falling asleep.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would say that it's more likely this is a fussy stage related to a cognitive developmental leap (check out info from a book called The Wonder Weeks online) or something similar developmentally, rather than an indication of readiness to wean. Regressive fussy behavior, fighting sleep, not easily comforted, increased neediness...these were the signs & with my kids it didn't have anything to do with weaning.
    True self-weaning doesn't tend to be a stressful thing or time of agitation. With my kids, it has been a long process (a long arc) where over time, nursing slowly gets into an on-again, off-again pattern, maybe a whole day without nursing, then another, only to nurse right at bedtime that day, then a day without nursing, then nursing upon waking but not again all day or the next, etc. Then a few days in a row, then asking to nurse once, then not seeming to want/need/remember for awhile. (Older than 15 months, too.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2011