Is it OK to have my 5 year old son keep his volume down?

I don't want to make him feel unloved,or unwanted or any other negative scarring emotion, but he gets into this very high pitched voice that seems to pierce my skull and actually hurts my head. He squeaks like his rats the sound is grating. And one other thing, many times he repeats the same thing over and over and over and I only have so much patience.

I gently ask him to lower his noise or stop the constant barrage of sounds. Now keep in mind I am aware of when he needs or wants attention and make sure I give him as much as possible, but I am second guessing myself because I do not want to make him feel dismissed in anyway.

Of course when he is tired or hungry he gets louder. It seems the last hour he is awake is the worst. He is wound u and I am winding down. I can't make his bed time earlier.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

NAGOL317

Asked by NAGOL317 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my five year old does the same thing and all i do is nonchalontley take my hand and make a "lower" movement with my hand so that if other people are watching or if it embarrass him. He gets the hint and lowers his voice and still gets to talk about what he wants to talk about. I hope that this helps
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with having house rules which include using an 'inside' voice. There is also nothing wrong with requiring him to play in his room or quietly playing in his bed until lights out time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There isn't anything wrong with that, in fact it is the right thing to do. Too many kids nowadays are so loud. When my daughter's friends come over they are so loud I can't stand it. There are very few parents that raise their children to speak in a respectable tone. People should not hear you in the next room. When you are out, people should not hear your conversation at the next table at a restaurant. Children can still have fun and talk and even the "boy noises" (that by the way, they do not grow out of) can be done at a level that leaves him to play and you with peace.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It is not only okay it is important. The best way is to get to his level and speak lowly and calmly, softly insist that he lower his tone. If he refuses, time out. Loud yelling will not be accepted in school and other social settings.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There is Nothing wrong with using "Inside Voices"!!

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Just tell him shh keep your voice down. when you are indoors. say look everybody's looking at you. your so loud. thats so embarrassing. But still let him get it all out when he plays outside. he needs that.for some reason all kids do. you know.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Why would enforcing a rule like using an inside voice cause a scarring emotion? Of course it's okay.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with that - just keep letting him know and reminding him about the inside voices!!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 10:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Im dealing with this with my 4.5yo! She has just gotten so loud!! We are working on it.. The hand movement thing is a good idea! I may have to try it.
    As long as its done in a good way not say mean words like shut up... Id say its good for kids to learn about voice control. Even some adult cant get loud at times & not aware of it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No way. I have to remind daughter a couple of times a day to lower her voice .
    Jaxs23

Answer by Jaxs23 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011