I was having an interesting conversation...

...With a friend of mine this morning (we were chatting, so, plz excuse any typos).

In response to the reality that Atheists are not hateful, angry people, he said this...
"I do not jell well with other "Christians" mostly the old ones that do not understand my stance on truth or the fact that I am not willing to "mark" others that do not believe as I do. I choose to learn more about each person to increase my own understanding of myself rather then beat people over the head with Bible verses or "look how good I am" don't you want to be me? I have taken the words and teaching to heart and it teaches me to shut up and live your life with honor and that will speak much louder"

I'd like to know, why that is such a hard concept for most people to grasp?

It is the most basic concept of humanism... live well.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 9:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, not sure there is a perfect answer because so many have been born and bred to believe a certain way and others may not have been born and bred into it but find their way there and then they just feel all sorts of happy and somehow that goes overboard into the "I have the answers and am perfect" zone.

Ive seen it happen many, many times. I was born and bred into it and its like looking at the world through a prettily decorated box. Many dont want nor need to look outside it to be happy so they never do and therefore they never truly get it.

I peeked outside the box at age 34, and then my world opened up and I saw so much more...I never looked back after that. And because of that I didnt have the desire to be perfect or all that.

I totally agree with your friend tho....shutting up and being that example with honor and care is the best way to do anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I dont think it is a hard concept to grasp. I can look and learn from people who are non believers. I also dont beat them with my bible. I also dont deny my faith. However, I can learn from them and still understand they are not going to Heaven. No amount of good deeds, good ideas of any of that will lead them there. It doesnt mean I am not going to be their friend though or constantly tell them well youre going to hell and Im not so I cant be friends with you lol, how childish.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Sounds like he has the preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary use words.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• See the problem tho gemgem, is that people who think like you do DO say you are going to hell,etc to others who dont believe like you. Its in your attitude and your opinions and your example.

Just because you dont flat out tell others what you REALLY think doesnt mean they dont know, its obvious in other ways. And the real truth is you think those who arent believing like you are heading for hell despite being good people,etc. You dont wanna say it outloud for various fears you may have but its still there and obvious. Just because you dont say it outloud doesnt mean its not out there in the Universe for your God to hear and know.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I can only speak for myself. I don't beat people over the head with Bible verses. As I've said on here before, irl the subject of religion rarely comes up. I certainly don't have the "look how good I am" mentality. As I've also said on here several time, I certainly can't throw stones at anyone. He mentioned his stance on truth. That's fine--he's entitled to that. Do I think he knows what the truth is? No I don't. I think he's believing a lie. Would I tell him that? Not unless he asked me.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• "He mentioned his stance on truth. That's fine--he's entitled to that. Do I think he knows what the truth is? No I don't. I think he's believing a lie. Would I tell him that? Not unless he asked me"

I should clarify, that "Truth" was the general subject matter of the conversation, religion simply came up. "Truth" as he mentions it, isn't pertaining to religious truth, but simply being an honest person.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I completely agree with yoru firend... it's just that this hasn't been the attitude I've received from the vast majority of Atheists. I mean, just today I read an Atheist saying that the Bible is a "psychotic" book and how she would be devastated if her daughter ended up with a Muslim that can't help but rape her if he sees her hair... Now THAT has been my most common experience with Atheists, at least here @ Cafemom. I actually used to think that most Atheists were like your friend, more willing to accept and tolerate others and I got a very nasty dose of reality here.
    I still do prefer to judge people as INDIVIDUALS rather than groups as a whole and I cannot in all honesty say that those Atheists reflect what Atheism is really about. As with every belief system, those are probably the loud minority that give a bad name to the rest. The "fanatics" of the lot.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It's good that you have friends that can express the way they feel so eloquently.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I do have to add, though that Humanism isn't synonymous with Atheism. Some of the most notorius Humanists in history have been churchmen. Thomas More even persecuted those with different beliefs and fought against the Protestand Reformation in England, being himself a devoted Catholic.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It doesnt mean I am not going to be their friend though or constantly tell them well youre going to hell and Im not so I cant be friends with you lol, how childish. ---

i'm not sure, but i'm thinking some punctuation is missing; therefore, making this statement convey a message she didn't intend.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2011