How do i prepare for him?!

i have just almost 10 wks left till i have ny beautiful baby boy! me and my husband are ecstatic!! he is our first, but my husband works on the rig and is home at night and on wknds and gone during the day till bout 7 or 8pm. we are waiting on after our baby shower to get a crib and changing table. my question is how do i prepare?! what can i do to make him feel okay and comfy once he's home?! what things should i have on hand? what was a life saver for you?!

amberpowell

Asked by amberpowell at 10:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It all depends on what you want, as you most definitely don't need everything that's on the shelves of the baby section of your favorite store.

A car seat is a must, and buying it new is highly recommended because you never know if a used one has been in an accident or otherwise damaged.

Some clothes, for a summer baby, onesies are pretty much what they live in, for a fall baby, onesies with pants, sleepers or other outfits are recommended. If you don't know how big your baby is going to be, buy a couple of newborn things and everything else 0-3 months.

Other than that, a swing (we love our cradle swing), a bouncy seat, fleece blankets, receiving blankets, socks, bibs, hats, burp rags (a 12 pack of the old fashioned cloth diapers will do the trick, a pack n play (we use that instead of a bassinet), and lots of love.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• honestly when i brought my dd home my life savor was her stroler and my couch.. when i needed to sleep id just put her in there and pull her up to the couch with me...i prob slept for the first 3mnths and alot of it was because i should have had a blood transfussion and didnt so my iron was extremly low and bounced up enough the nxt day that my doc decided not to do it...really jst loving them is really enough to comfort them they are extremly intued with you ..so if your happy usually baby is happy too! good luck and congrats!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I haven't had a child of my own but I basically raised my younger sister from the day she came home from the hospital and still. I felt like a mother to her because i was almost grown when my mother had her. When she came home, She shared my room and we kept her vassinette in there with me and I put up pink border with blocks on it in my room, I kept a table between my bed and her vassinette, I kept diapers, wipes, pacifier, and bottles of water and formula in a drawer and I filled her vassinette with Very soft pink blankets. Pink pillows. and a few stuffed animals to help her sleep at night, because she always had to have someone or something close to her to sleep. ( and she still does)lol. I don;t know if this will help much but I hope it does.
    sdw123456789

Answer by sdw123456789 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I forgot to mention that my sling has been a life saver. DD2 wants to be near me all the time, and I can actually get things done (shopping, doing light housework, etc.) by wearing her in the sling.

Also, do not put anything in her crib or bassinet like soft blankets, pillows, or stuffed animals. These can cause a baby to suffocate.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Pack & Play, Sleepers with feet, onesies, swaddle blankets, swing & you! That's all you need in the begining besides diapers & Desitin.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• He needs a lot less to be happy than the department stores will have you think. He needs a few simple things that people have already mentioned, but most importantly, he needs a rested, happy mommy. At this point, concentrate on doing things that will keep you relaxed....like a freezer full of dinners ready to microwave, a supportive hubby when he can be home and friends that can help with the housework if you need it.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 2:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011