Should I ask my SO for money?

My SO and I have been together for 6 months. We both own our own homes. I have been struggling this year with my bills. November property taxes were due and it KILLED me. Everything is late and I barely have gas money! My sister thinks I should ask my SO to help me but I can't bring myself to do it. I don't want him to know I've mismanaged my money so badly, plus I had these bills before we met. I'll be okay again in January. Should I ride it out til then and not ask? or do you think it's normal to ask him since he's my man and all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• If you are able to ride it out I would. If there is no way that you will make it til January then ask him! If he loves you and trusts you he will have no problem helping you out. Just don't make a habit of it.
    Anonymous

• Well you aren't married. I watch Judge Judy a lot and that is one of her BGF no no's. If you do please be polite and sign a note and pay him back when you say you will.

Anonymous

• I do not think that asking him because he is a man at all is it....Ask him because he is your boyfriend. If he needed help wouldn't you want him to come to you. Or atleast let you in on what is going on.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• if you all plan on being together you two will be combining finances anyway, so i would ask him
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Ride it out, he has no responsibility to you and it's wrong to even ask. If you want someone to help you out get married.

Anonymous

• I wouldnt just because you have been together for such a short time and what if you break up he could hold that against you..... if you can ride it out I would or maybe ask your parents??? This is just me though i have major pride issues and would never want to ask a man for help.... I have been with my SO for 4 and 1/2 years we have 2 kids and having another nxt month and I just asked him for anything for the first time to help me purchase my home based business!! Good Luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Ride it out get married...only 6 months...bahumba...
    she should beable to talk to her boyfriend...period...what is a relationship if you can not count on the other! Communication is the key..if you ask now atleast you will see what he is made of..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You need to be in a relationship where you can be honest about money.

If you two are going to be serious, you need to tell him about your debt and vice versa.

I would not expect him to give you a loan.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would ride it out too. It's all your responsibility, your house, your bills. You two have only been together for 6 months. I had a "boyfriend" that asked me for money once.......I didn't feel comfortable that he asked me and I just couldn't be with him anymore. If you guys are getting serious, then maybe instead you should talk about one of you selling your home and living together, but borrowing money BECAUSE your are irresponsible with your own money is a bad bad idea.
    Anonymous

• I believe that it is okay to ask him for help, but you ohave to remember to pay him back.
    msjtwin

Answer by msjtwin at 1:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008