What can you give a 4 year old? adult content

to help with diarrhea? I have been giving fluids but is there anything else to help get rid of it?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Health

• try the BRATS diet, it's suppose to help children with diarrhea..
    Banana's, Rice, apple sauce, and toast.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Just keep the child hydrated
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Rice or dry rice crispies.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I didn't say I was giving him anything with sugar so why are you ASSUMING that I am I said I was giving him fluids to keep him hydrated; stop ASSUMING something when it isn't true
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes, the Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and Toast diet usually is well-tolerated. More importantly, figure out what is causing the diarrhea. Is it b/c of something the child ate that didn't agree with them? Or just a case of gasteroenteritis? Or something more serious like celiac disease? Yogurt is good to give once it's getting better to recolonize the gut with beneficial bacteria.

Usually diarrhea shouldn't last more than 24-48 hours in not-so-serious situations -- not that I'm assuming your child has a serious problem, or anything!

I think the pp just mentioned something about "sugar" b/c it's common for lots of families to give kids juices and similar liquids when kids are sick or have GI problems. I doubt she meant it as an insult to you personally :)
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Stop giving anything with sugar... like gatorade... sugar makes the diarrhea worse!!! Get some Pedialyte instead.
    As far as meds call the pharmasist and ask whats approved for that age, I am not sure.
    They say the BRAT diet works well, but I never had to try it. Good luck... hope it ends soon!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2011