Picky Eater.. Help!

My 3yr old. Is such a picky eater.. I try to get her to eat new things Like apple sauce and more fruit.. however she can eat alot of meat. hotdogs chicken steak porkchops and she loves corn bananas.. chicken nuggets and pizza and spaghettie.. ne ideas on how to get her to eat more new and different things (to her) ????

Madilous08

Asked by Madilous08 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• How about the good old fashioned eat what I made for you approach. If she refuses have her food waiting as a snack or she can wait until the next mealtime to eat. Do not make her a special meal. She won't starve and often kids will eat new foods once they've had a bite or two.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I'm not going to be much help. I don't have picky eaters. One of the things that we do is that we have a meal or a snack and this is what we have... if you don't at least try to like it, there will not be anything else.

I've also found that parents' attitudes towards foods make a big difference too. If you tell them they won't like something or even make it clear you don't like it yourself, it's hard to get them to eat it.

In our house, we're huge fruit and vegetable eaters. My kids have eaten fruits and vegetables since they started solids (the real stuff, not nasty baby food). And when they see their Mom or Dad eating fruit and vegetables and truly enjoying them, they are more likely to want to eat them themselves.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• thats me weak spot i believe... if she doesnt eat it im afraid she wont eat at all and be hungry
    Madilous08

Comment by Madilous08 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• She won't starve herself. She will eat what she is given if she's hungry enough. It sounds like she knows she can get what she wants from you, so she is maniuplating you by saying she doesn't like it, even if she actually does.

My 6 year old has learned some bad habits from the kids at school. She loves broccoli and one day came home and we were having broccoli for dinner and said she didn't like it. I told her that she does, and she didn't get a choice but to eat it, and she ate it and remembered that she really does like it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yea Im going to have to start not bending the rules so much, she does know what to do to get her way!!!
    Madilous08

Comment by Madilous08 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• That a girl!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• try giving her yogert to dip her apples grapes whatever in...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• sounds just like my daughter, the list you listed is my daughters diet. i feel lke i have tried everything :(
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 12:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It actually sounds like she eats a decent amount of things (and not just "kid foods" though some kid favorites), so my thought would be to build on that and keep offering & making available other foods as part of the meal. So, branch out from what she WILL eat. She eats chicken, steak, and pork chops? (Among other things you listed?) Why not build meals on those things, such as bake some macaroni & cheese (or roasted potatoes) when you are making pork chops, introduce a vegetable (peas, broccoli, roasted Brussels sprouts, asparagus, etc.) and maybe applesauce, or else sauteed apples & onions, etc. Give her small portions & the opportunity to try things. DON'T make it a power struggle or a battle, all about control. That is what CREATES issues around food. Keep offering & providing opportunities for her, with a mix of familiar & new foods, then leave the "whether" and "how much" to eat truly up to her. HAVE FAITH!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011