What do you think of preachers when they yell during their sermons?

i'm asking cause i know of some that do, and i know they mean well, but what if it doesnt really make since? i pay close attention to what pastors and preachers say, and it doesnt always make since.i dont have anything against them,.thats just something ive always wondered.

luckygirl2000

Asked by luckygirl2000 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I end up thinking about how uncomfortable I am and how much I disagree with the message. Thankfully I've not had many sermons like that, since my Methodist church tends to be more positive than that. But we did go to one church, DH and I when we first got married, where the pastor pushed hell and fear every Sunday. We couldn't take it, and stopped going. I don't believe in threatening or scaring people into faith, especially since I don't believe there is a hell or that only one religion is right. When I go to church it's for inspiration and spiritual fulfillment, not to be yelled at or threatened with some sort of hellfire I don't even believe in. Church, IMO, should be a positive, enlightening place. That's what the soul needs - edification, to be uplifted, encouragement, inspiration, positivity.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I always worried that their hearts were going to explode. Their faces were always red, eyes bulging out of the sockets and their pits were sweating... not attractive, really scary and IMO, not an effective way of trying to get your point across.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The ones in the churches I grew up in always yelled- I see it as normal...as far as church goes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• None of the pastors I've had ever yelled. That's a little weird to me. One of my pastors was like a father to me, and he was the most relaxed, calm and easy going person I've ever known. I couldn't ever picture him yelling... haha.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2011