How can I get my 4 month old breastfed baby to take the bottle?

I have tried every bottle sold in stores and tried every technique that I can think of. I dont know what else to do and I really need to start working being a single parent with no help form her father. PLEASE HELP

JordynKaisMommy

Asked by JordynKaisMommy at 12:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what you've tried yet, so here are some tips I can think of:

1. someone other than you should be the one feeding. Preferable outside the home (ie day care would work great)
    2. Try dipping the tip of the nipple in the bottle so it smells like breastmilk instead of laytex/rubbery
    3. make sure the temp is room temp. Not too hot, not too cold. Some kids are *really* picky.
    4. Try adding a little bit of formula. Some kids will take formula and juice out of a bottle, but will only take breastmilk from mommy.
    5. Try skipping the bottle and using a soft spoutted sippy cup.

ALso see: http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-can-i-teach-my-breastfed-baby-to-take-a-bottle_3177.bc
    Anonymous

• My baby takes the breastflow bottles. But we introduced it very early on so that he would take both breast and bottle (we learned from my SIL who was in the same situation as you, her baby wouldn't take the bottle either)
    I would just keep trying...
    I think my SIL ended up using a sippy cup and they kind of poured it in her mouth I think! They also started foods early because she was so hungry at daycare (she got kicked out because she would scream all day)
    Good luck! I know it's a battle!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• A note about formula: I'm only suggesting it to change the smell of the milk. Baby may smell it and think of you and want the breast. There may be other options to achieve the same goal.
    Anonymous

• Try offering the bottle when baby is not too hungry. You can try to breastfeed, and then switch to a bottle of breastmilk near the end of the feeding. Try when baby is sleepy.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i would try a cup instead of the bottle now but you could try the breast flow botlle by first years
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I've had great success with the Breastflow bottles as well, although the first bottle he actually took was a Soothie! Have someone who's not you (and has a lot of patience) offer the bottle, preferably when you're not in the room. Don't try when Baby is already cranky about something, start when s/he's happy and ok with exploring.

Keep in mind that Baby will probably fight for awhile, as the bottle is a BIG change. Just make sure that whoever does the feeding has some confidence and holds Baby close while trying to feed. Wearing a sweater or something of your's might be helpful as well, as the sense of smell is VERY strong with babies.

It's going to be tough, but you'll get there! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008