Mom's cookout?

so my mom mentioned to me she wanted to have a cookout for her birthday (54). I don't bring my kids to her house cause her new husband smokes and the house stinks. So I offered if she bought the stuff and brought it she may do it at my house. She agreed. So her birthday is Wed, and I said let's do it wed evening. I decided to keep it to the family and a few friends, since somehow we got suckered into it. When I called to tell her about it, she was like ok I will let..so,so,so know. I said wait a minute, we are buying all the food cause you have NO monay (but her husband can smoke.. )
COUNTINED>>..

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You are just a pistol. A ray of sunshine. I bet your mom will appreciate all your effort.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think you are over reacting.. YOU offered to have the party.. because her husband smokes (even though it's a cook out and would most likely have been outdoors).. and YOU knew the party was for your mother.. so regardless it's still her party, that you offered to have for her.....
    I think you need to suck it up and deal with it, or tell them they need to have the party at their own house then, and just stay home.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• well it comes down to what CAN you afford?

Tell her flat out I have X amount of dollars to spend, I can buy X amount of hot dogs/hamburgers/what ever. You can invite whom ever you want but if it is more than X then we have to do this potluck OR you have to pitch in.

If you dont like her husband, arguing with him isnt going to help. He is her husband, he will be there so you need to choose.... make nice, or simply dont have them over in the future.

Im a practical gal... I see no benifit in butting heads with him over everything OR playing the tit for tat game. She is who she is, he is who he is and you can not change that. All you can do is choose what you choose for you.

So cancel or have them over... and not complain
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• .. and they can run around all the time to flea markets and tag sales. I said I would provide food for the family and 2 of her close friends. If she wants more she will have to pitch in!!. Her husband (ugh! hate him!!) was in the back ground yelling "you have to provide for your own party".. I came back with "Hey you wanted a party at 54, you NEVER ever gave me a party or even a cake as a adult..so don't get pissy!" My inlaws always buy me a cake. I got my mom two coobie bras $40,a pair of underwear at jcpenny $12, a new shaver razor $6 = that's $58 I spent already. All I ever get is a $20 bill from her (not complaining but damn!) now she wants me to provide food for 20 people, when in two weeks I will have to do it all again for my daughters party. Am I being selfish, or should she pitch in since she wants it NOT me?! who has a party at 54 anyways? I can see 50!!!
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Thanks for being honest.. Yeah I guess, but I am only doing it cause I don't want to hear her bitch. I didn't offer her a party, my words where we can throw some burgers on the grill wed if you want. She starting inviting everyone!
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I do get along with her hubby, I don't like him much but for personal reason! Although, he is ALWAYS welcome here and we are very nice to him as he is NICE to us :), he just treats my mom like a piece of dirt and that is what gets me.
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Anon, I offered to do it here, I didn't offer to provide food. All of sudden she is saying she don't have the money to buy stuff after we planned it.
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• so I got sucked into buying the food
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well.. still if you are buying you are buying regardless of how it went down.

So call her and tell her how much money you have to spend... or better yet get that much cash from the bank and take her WITH you to the market. She can SEE what there is and either pitch in or do it potluck style.

What is done is done... people ARE coming over (unless you start calling them to cxl)... so your going to have to call her up and lay it on the line.
    Anonymous

• Thanks :)
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011