How can you be certain of what you believe, if you do not question, or allow yourself to be questioned?

Too often (here and IRL) I see people make the leap from a simple question, to persecution (which is isn't).

How, if you feel threatened by questioning, or being questioned- or, *gasp* someone NOT believing what you do, questioning you- can you ever actually learn what YOUR personal beliefs are... rather than regurgitating what you've been indoctrinated with.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• agreed. a healthy polite debate is good for ones soul.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I questioned often and I wonder about what I believe often...but I still choose to believe because I want to. I do not persecute or try to push my beliefs on anyone else. Do I believe word for word the bible - NO, do I interpret it literally - NO, but I know in whom I believe, I'm comfortable in my beliefs and I am not swayed, although I will listen, to other and/or their beliefs.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• "If a religion, is correct and true, then it should stand up to any and all scrutiny and criticism. After all, the truth can not be unseated."- J.P. Warren.

I love the way the author wrote that, and I find it to be very accurate.. if your believes can't stand up against scrutiny then your beliefs are not that well founded. IMO the only way to truly know if your beliefs are well founded is to question them yourself to build a stronger case for your own personal beliefs
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Simple answer: You can't. If you are not questioning or hearing-out others who question you, then you don't really honestly accept your beliefs....you are just letting your ego violently defend them because it doesn't like changing its mind.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Martin Luther absolutely opposed such questioning because he felt it would lead to rejecting religion.  I was raised Lutheran, but rejected his opposition to questioning and guess what?  He was right.  In questioning and searching for answers, I realized that I couldn't believe in what I was raised to believe in.  It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I feel so much freer and genuine than I did when I blindly followed faith.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am sure of the way I think/feel and have no desire to change anyone's mind. I think faith is good for some people and why would I try to take that away. Now if someone wants to try to change my mind in an adversarial way, then game on.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I questioned a lot, I still do. One thing I do love about my religion is that it actually frowns upon blind faith and it's our obligation to question, to ask and to scrutinize everything in order to achieve certainty.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ochsamom- why must questioning be intended to sway opinion?

That is what I do not understand. The assumption that asking a question = attempting to change someone's opinion.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There are several questions, comments and responses that show the majority of Christians as well as other faiths question and grow in their faith by questioning.

Sometimes I think there are those that do not believe in God don't understand or care how insensitive they are and hide behind the "questioning is not bashing" wall.

Anonymous

• I think some people don't want to be questioned/question because they're afraid of what they're going to discover....
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011