Love and Logic Mamma's.... any ideas?

I have a 7.5 year old DD and a 5.5 year old DD. I am having an issue with the 7 year old. She is getting quite mouthy and bossy around here. She of course knows everything and wants to argue and disagree with everything and everyone. She actually said it wasn't raining one day.... just becuase her sister asked if she got wet walking to the car.... it WAS raining.

She now is responsible for doing her own laundry because of her mouthing off to me when i explained to her she was not changing once again... so now she can change as often as she would like and she can do her own laundry as well.

I am needing some ideas to get her out of this arguing stage. Really no matter what is said, her first response is "no" or "nut-uh".... she is also REALLY into questioning her father and I. When we do provide an explination(it isn't safe... it is rude... we don't have enough money...etc) she of course has a reason that OUR reason isn't valid( I won't get hurt... I don't always have to be polite... just use your debit card, or write a check it's only $3...etc)

I am going crazy here..... some Love and Logic is really needed.

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I get a little of that from both the 6 and 7 year old. I'm not real tolerate of it and my intense glare generally will quiet them down. They do continue to mutter to themselves but they quit saying stuff to me. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Say what is allowed and stop there. Tell her you will not say anything else and ignore the rude comments. You also might do time out if it really gets out of hand. Stay calm and matter of fact on what is and is not allowed. Remember for each of you to spend one on one time with her too. Lots of kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. She needs praise when she does things right and positive attention too.

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• DD has ODD and loves to keep arguing in order to get her way. Our therapist suggested that I should use the phrase 'End of discussion' more often than I do. She also suggested that I follow up with a consequence when DD persists when I've made my final decision.

Do try to nip this in the bud.  It will only get worse as DD gets older.  (Our DD is almost 15.)  It is your house and in it, your rules need to be followed - not a 7.5-year-olds.  Also, I recently started giving my 7-year-old twins an allowance.  When they ask for something that's 'only $3' I tell them they can buy it themselves with their allowance.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It's a phase. They all go through it once or twice as they grow up. It sucks but she will outgrow it. Just be sure you stick to your guns. If you set a punishment, even if you want to change it, don't. Example is washing her own clothes. Even if you want to cave and wash them for her, now that you set that rule, you have to stick to it. Good luck to you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ugh im going thru the same thing with my 8 yr old..i just tell him i said no and im the adult so i have the final say adn if keeps at it ill warn him and say next time i do have money (or whatever) you will not get what u want or do waht u want to do
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would just say what is allowed and reinforce with positive discipline and be consistent.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 9:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Just make sure to stay consistent.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• stay consistent
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She's in the 'let's see how far I can push this' stage. I commend you on making her do her own laundry! NICE WORK! Keep it up...if she says something tell like 'I want this' tell her that she'll get money for the EXTRA things...like don't pay her for doing HER laundry since that's essentially her punishment and then when she wants something tell her she can get it with her money. Don't lend her money if she forgets to bring her's...let her buy it herself. Answer her questions the best you can. Don't just say 'you need to be polite' explain WHY you need to be polite. I had a 2nd grader this year that my principal said to deal with him we needed to know the art of words. So instead of telling him we weren't calling him mom because he was throwing a fit...the principal went in to saying WHY we can't call his mom because it would stress her out and we didn't want to risk her health (it was WAY more into it that)
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 2:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2011