Good idea or bad idea??

I've been doing a lot of thinking, and because of my own instincts and what people are saying, I think I have decided not to get the epidural.

I recently met a teenage mother like myself, and she did not get the epidural, and she said if she had the choice again, she'd make the same choice.

I've also heard that if I move or twitch or something when they are doing it, it could do damage, and that my baby will be more lively when born without it!

What do you all think? did you get the epidural? or are you going to?

Cassie8293

Asked by Cassie8293 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get an epidural with any of my births. i didn't think the risks were worth it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No epis with my deliveries, no way!!
    It's important to be safe and healthy.
    AND there are many other coping alternatives--

If you'd like to learn more we can help.
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• thats what i was thinking too, my neighbor was temporarily paralyzed from the shot, and her baby had to be pulled out of her b/c she couldn't push at all.

but yeah if you guys have alternative tips that'd be great!!
    Cassie8293

Comment by Cassie8293 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There are a few things--

First: care provider (hire a supportive, experienced attendant, probably not a surgeon)
    Second: setting (birthing where natural birth is standard makes a huge difference, so probably not a hospital)
    Third: preparation (get yourself informed w/good info-- reading books, classes, videos, etc, I can help)
    Fourth: support (family, friends, doula-- not just your midwife or doctor can help you achieve your preferences)
    Fifth: birth plan (a way to communicate to others AND a tool for "home study")
    Sixth: confidence (with your preparations and support people, all these things together, you reduce & eliminate fears, uncover your MANY options~~)

We can help more...
    ;-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• this is my first child, and i dont really have too much support, so i don't know as much as i should, i don't know how to get a midwife, i dont know how to get a doula, i havent really found any helpful books and when ever i ask anyone for advice, each person says something completely different!! :O
    Cassie8293

Comment by Cassie8293 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I had an epidural with my 1st and a spinal with my second, I had NO say i had 2 c sections. i am against epidurals. I dont like the fact of a needle going in my spine. It hurt when i was gettin numb and it was so damn annoyin coming out of it. I was itchin bc of it and i kept throwing up. also it does affect the baby a lil too. y would u want to do that to a baby?
    Anonymous

• "y would u want to do that to a baby?"
    exactly!!!!! i want my baby to be happy and healthy as possible!!!
    Cassie8293

Comment by Cassie8293 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• just do whats best for you and your baby...everyone is different so everyone is going ot have a different say on the matter
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No epidural for me with either of my girls. For me (and it may be different for you) when I started considering an epidural when the pain was so intense, I had to push moments later. I don't plan on getting an epidural with my 3rd either.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I can help some...

How far along are you?
    Have you already been getting prenatal care?
    Who do you have to help & support you through this?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2011