Any experience with breast pumps?

I'm attempting to put together my gift registry for our baby girl's shower. This is my first child and I am unsure which model of breast pump to get. Theres everything from a $70 model, clear up to a $370 model! My family isn't wealthy by any means, and I'm trying to choose the most affordable of everything but I hear with pumps especially, that you pay for what you get. On that note, I don't want to get the most affordable one and be unhappy with it.

Anyone have one model in particular they really liked (or disliked, for that matter?) I like the idea of a double pump to save time.

While I'm at it, what is your favorite (or least) favorite brand and style of bottles? I don't know what to choose!!

Any advice you can offer is truly appreciated! Thanks ladies!

Andre5025

Asked by Andre5025 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• any of the medela breast pumps i have used are great..as far as bottle nuk is my all time favorite they are pricey but i still love them..once my dd got a few months old i switched over to walmart brand bottle and they worked great
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I"m using the medela breast pump that looks like a hand bag that I can carry everywhere I go. It works great and simple to use. I love it.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• A pump should be picked by how you plan to use it. There are double pumps that will increase supply - those are the hospital grade rentals. And there are ones for back to work - the Medela PIS as well as the Ameda Purely Yours and Lanolish Affinity. In my experience as a peer breastfeeding councilor, the ones made by companies that make just pumps are better than the ones that made by companies that make lots of other baby stuff.

I'll also suggest that you ask for a compatible kit in the hospital as your insurance will pick up the tab and a 2nd kit is great to have.  Also check with your insurance.  Some will pay for a pump if it's medically necessary.  If you qualify for WIC, they can loan you a pump instead of giving you formula.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• same here my sister used it till her breast milk wouldnt come in anymore an with the nuk bottle an she tryed changeing them around 2-3 months an he had a hard time drinking an would cry cry so if u cant afford the nuk bottles i wouldnt start him or her one them u get 3 bottles doesnt matter size for 12.00-14.00 dollors. i know i used the cheep bottles an they r just ask good. hope this works out i have used the hand held one an that works good. if your income is low maybe u can get wic if so they will give u the held hand one an then if u want to do it automatic then they will rent out a pump for u but u use the held held one an it hooks up to the pump so u arent useing the same one other people use an it works well.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 12:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i used the madela pump in style (for both children) and the playtex vent air for our ds and the soothie (now i think they are called first year) for dd i think that the wider nipple of the soothie really helped her keep breast feeding but they do make vent airs in wide nipple designs u just have to look
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I really liked my Medela. They are pricey but well worth it.
    LindseyRRR

Answer by LindseyRRR at 4:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• JSD really nailed it. If you'll be a SAHM, an Avent Isis is great.

No Gerber, Evenflo, First Years. All have poor track records.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A double electric IS nice, but a single electric works just as well if you feed baby on one side and pump off the other... This way you're getting a bottle ready AND feeding baby.

Medela Symphony is the one I rent, and the Medela Pump in Style is what I take to work. The Sypmphony is a LOT quieter by comparison....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Whichever pump you decide on, if you are large chested make sure to research the pump companies website to see how many different size flanges they offer. Most pumps come with the smallest size of flange and if you have larger breasts, you need to get bigger ones. Using flanges that are too small can pinch your ducts, cause your breasts not to empty fully, which can lead to mastitis. I had mastitis for a month before we figured this out. No one, including the lactation condlatant knew or bothered to tell me.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Thank you ladies, for all the info. I apologize, my computer went down for awhile :( BOOO!!!

I have a girlfriend who is donating me her double Medella pump, says I just need to get the 'accessory kit' (tubes, cups, etc..) Looks like that is gonna save us all a bundle! Now I just gotta get bottles added to the list....

I'm just getting rolling with a new job and all these baby shower questions, and "are you registered yet" "names and addresses of all your party people" ... I DUNNO!!! LOL! I'm gonna laugh, not cry!
    Andre5025

Comment by Andre5025 (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2011