Breastfeeding and bc pill...Did your milk supply change?

What bc pill did you take while breast feeding and did it dry you up or make your supply go down?

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 12:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i took what they call the mini pill.. and it kept my milk the same.. u can not take just any type of BC pill bc most dry you up.. ask your dr im sure he/she can help
    Anonymous

• I was on progesterone only bc pill. But... beware, you have to be exactly on time when you take it or it won't be effective. Trust me, i ended up prego when my dd was 4 months old. To answer your question, no it didn't change my supply.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The mini pill is progesterone only and didn't effect my supply. I had breakthrough bleeding and was put on regular BC pills.  My supply dipped but came back when I stopped them.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• What did you go to after you got off the regular BC pills?
    sunshinepraying

Comment by sunshinepraying (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Mel_in_PHX: How off were you when you didn't take it exactly on time? That's my only worry.
    sunshinepraying

Comment by sunshinepraying (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I didn't think u could take the pill while breastfeeding????!!!!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes you can. The mini pill is the pill w/out estrogen, so it doesn't affect your supply. The regular pill may affect your supply. I've read that it has with some people and hasn't with others. The problem with the mini pill is that you have to take it the exact time every day. I am not sure if it is as affective once you don't breastfeed as much. So then there's the problem of taking the mini pill and hopefully you don't forget to take it at the exact same time, or you take the regular pill and risk lowering your supply. :( There's also Mirena or Paraguard you can take. Although I've heard people get a lot of cramping and bleeding, and some have ovarian cycsts with those, so that also concerns me. Why can't there be something easy?
    sunshinepraying

Comment by sunshinepraying (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2011