Drinks and breastfeeding.

My hubby and I are in a wedding next month and plan to have this be a "date night" for us which is WELL needed. However, I am currently breastfeeding, I have froze alot of breastmilk. I know if you have one drink you should wait an hour or two, but what about ALOT of drinks, lol. Do I wait like 24 hours, do I have to count the beers and wait an hour for each, do I pump and dump.....? Any information would be a great help! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you are gonna drink alot I would pump and dump.. :) and have fun!!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 12:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Good general rule of thumb, is if you are not intoxicated, your milk isn't either (for when you're having more than a couple). Milk isn't "Stored". It will not maintain alcohol if it is not in your bloodstream.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• If ur going to drink A LOT then u should pump for at least 24 hours before giving the baby ur milk.. i went out for my 21st when i was breastfeeding my son and i pumped the whole next day to clean myself out... also do nto FORGET to bring a pump drinkin makes ur breast fill up and girl do they hurt lol.. have fun
    Anonymous

• I had to do the same thing. best thing to do is use the frozen milk for the next whole day. i would wait until the following morning to begin feeding again. this will allow nutrients lost to the alcohol to be regained. until then, pump, dump, and have fun!
    hoodoo13

Answer by hoodoo13 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No need to pump and dump, once the alcohol is out of your bloodstream it will no longer affect your milk. Just plan to give baby some of your stored milk until you're body has had time to get the alcohol out of your bloodstream. If you get uncomfortable while waiting you can definitely pump to take the edge off though =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Whatever your blood alcohol is, so is your milk alcohol. You might want to pump and dump so you don't get engorged and an infection. This chart will tell you how long to wait before nursing: http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac-comparison-over-time.htm
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html..........this is a websit someone gave me to look at when i askd this ? also i would just ask your ob she might have a good suggetion too..good luck have fun
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i also got this one too..

http://www.obfocus.com/calculators/alcoholinmilk.htm
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• All lot of the reasoning isn't about the alcohol in the milk but about the taste of the milk. It is better to pump and dump for a day if you are planning on getting smashed (sounds like that when reading your original post).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• If it were me I would pump and freeze extra bm, and then the day of and day after the wedding I would pump and dump. It would be a good idea to ask your doctor-- about this issue as well, they would probably have up to date information about alcohol/breastmilk safety.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2011