How can i discipline my son and he actually learn from it?

I really need help disciplining my son. he is 5 and the most resilient kid i have ever seen. sometimes he can be good, but usually he is very bad. he ignores me, laughs at me, and talks back when ever i try to tell him something. he gets really mad even at little things. i have sent him to his room, taken away toys, yelled, spanked, everything. nothing works. i need new tactics. i know he can be good, i've seen it and rewarded it. how do i get that to be the mainstay?

hoodoo13

Asked by hoodoo13 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would try a visual chart and a reward system. Get a jar and colored marbles. explain that when he listens and behaves he get a marble, when he doesn't listen and misbehaves you will take a marble away. After "X" amount of marbles he will get something special, like going out for ice cream or his favorite dinner. Explain the rules and of the house and even write them on a large piece a paper and display them somewhere he can see them. Also try talking to him and see if there is a reason he is acting a certain way.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The early to bed routine works real well for me. The key is saying it, meaning it, and following thru on it....NO MATTER WHAT. Mine hate to go to bed early, my youngest one also hates to be taken away from the computer. I use what they like the best. I've also in my moments of complete frustration threaten to throw away something valuable that they might love and cherish and found this worked immediately after the first time they actually watched me grab a beloved item and toss it out the door into the woods. Cruel..perhaps but absolutely effective. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• all I cansay is get the "supernanny" book and try her techniques. They work great. Good luck!
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You need to be consistent. Kids will continue to test you if you're always changing their consequences. Know that it gets worse (they test you more) before it gets better. Don't assume that if they are worse behaved that the method isn't working. It is but they are testing if you'll be consistent with it.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My first thought it to learn more about his temperament (personality he was born with) and then you can better find the best modes to parent him appropriately.
    All children are different and parenting him like I would my own isn't the best fit.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• try a behavior chart so he can visibly see how his actions are making him lose out on things
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Have you done charts and/or just sat him down to talk about the situation?
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Instead of trying to find the perfect discipline or punishment, try really hard to praise him like crazy. Praise everything he does "I really like how you said please" or "I realy like it when you talk nice" or "great job cleaning up your dishes." Kids should have 3 praises to every 1 criticism. When you praise good behavior, you're teaching him what to do right.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i do try and praise him whenever possible, but i love him so i'm sure i can do it more ;) I put him to bed at 8 sharp. i was going to read to him, but he started being mean and demanding. he yelled and cried and demanded and threaten to rip up his toys. but i didn't give in. by 830 he was asleep. i made a weekly chart today too. each day has a good/bad section marked with a smiley or frowny face. i told him what it is for. fingers crossed. thank you guys. please keep the advice coming.
    hoodoo13

Comment by hoodoo13 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• behavior chart
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2011