Does anyone else despise the

"participation" ribbons or "everybody gets a trophy" rewards kids get for doing every little thing? What ever happened to prizes just for the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I agree. Kids need to learn about disappointment and that they won't always get a prize...it's a fact of life...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I don't despise them. I think its a hindrance to them reaching their full potential, because they think as long as they participate they get recognition and don't strive to do their best.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think while they are little and just starting activities or projects (such as science project for school) it's a good idea that everyone gets something for participating. I think they do that just to encourage kids, while they are very young. As they get older then they learn that you don't just get something for participating, but for truly doing your best and being the best.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• two words... "Politically Correct"
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• as they get older they will learn and not everyone gets something. small children its different and yes they do deserve something too. When it comes to ribbons from a school or something to make a kid enjoy school and want to come back its fun to get things and exciting for the kids so yes they all should get something.. but with age it will change!
    Anonymous

• OUr kids live in a world of entitlement. Even though they didnt win we want them to think they did good. <--- i dont agree with this. I agree with you. i dont like it. I worked hard when i was in school to get awards at the end of the year. and i got them because i deserved them! They make an award for anything now and give it out. my daughter played t-ball more like professional outfit flower picker and she still got a trophy.... ummmm why?
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 12:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• With the exception of special needs teams.....yes, I hate them.

Our middle and elementary schools went back to giving out certificates only to those that earned them and not just making up something to make the students feel good. And when they do their awards ceremony during school hours, ALL students attend them and not just those being awarded something.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• well...they DO keep score and rank the teams according to who won and who lost , especially in tournaments, right???
    . The Soccer teams here that my grandson plays on give little "participation trophies" and they all know which teams won or lost....so its not like ALL of them win.
    Two years ago, my grandson's team only won ONE game in the whole season and they STILL LOVED playing soccer. The kids LOVD being on the team and the parents love watching them.
    I think there is a huge to-do about the trophy situation and everyone is making too much out of this. Sportsmanship and the satisfaction in playing a sport even if you don't win can be acheived . WHen parents are hysterical about winning and losing kids don't enjoy sports.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Awww...no I dont despise them, I think its good to give credit for kids trying their best, ribbons, awards things like that are great. As you get older you realize you dont get a ribbon for everything and you have to work even harder to obtain praise. I think its okay when you younger though. I enjoyed it as I grew up.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 12:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• alboston..loved your answer because I have a t-ball dancer.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011