Venting, so annoyed about being told what to do and when to do it

im so sick of my mom basically telling me what to do when it comes t my kids.
i live with her because I can't afford to live on my own. I have a financial plan to move out within the year, (thank goodness)
but for now, I'm going insane.
she doesn't like to listen to my 20 month old twins whine. which they do, a lot, because they dont talk yet.
for example this morning, tyler wanted to go outside and so he threw this MASSIVE fit.
so I calmed him down and said if you wanna go outside we have to get dressed and put sun screen on and ask nicely to go so he got calm and so i got out the sun screen and started to put it on them and he will NOT let me put sunscreen on.
i am not going to wrestle with them to put sun screen on his face. i told him if you wont have sunscreen, we will not go outside, and he ran from me.
so we are not going outside.
now my mom is complaining that i wont put sunscreen on him. she is saying crap about being outside for 40 years and not getting skin cancer
basically saying just take him out anyway without the sunscreen
but its like, if i took them out without sunscreen she would be like "youre not even going to put sunscreen on them??"
she does crap like this all the time, its like she gets to be the ambassador of what i do and when i do it and how its done and im so sick of it
anyone else out there in a situation like this??

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't live with my parents, Thank GOD! but every time we get together, my mom and dad give me a lecture about how I'm raising my daughter wrong. I will tell dd to do something and they will bud in and tell her she doesn't have to, things like that. Lately, I just ignore the comments. I feel that if they were such great parents, then why am I such a mess? I love my parents, but I think they should realize that they have made a ton of mistakes raising me, the only daughter among three kids. If that's your mom's personality, unfortunately for as long as you are living with her she'll continue doing these things.  Hang in there until you are on your own.

hugs

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am sorry that you have to go thru this but since you live with her she feels like she has a say in the way you parent. Good Luck and hopefully you will be able to hit your financial goal sooner rather than later.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I've been living with my in-laws while my husband and I fix up the foreclosure we just bought. Trust me, I know what it's like to be micro-managed and it's probably the most frustrating feeling in the world. Especially when you are a grown adult with your own family. That's what happens when you live under someone else's roof... I'm just glad to be getting out of here in a few days. Hang in there and keep with your financial plan!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Never lived with my mother after having chldren. Can you just remind her that these are your children and you will raise them the way you want too. AND she had a chance to raise you her way. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• This is just one of the downsides to not living in your own place and getting help from others? I personally would rather hit a homeless shelter than move back home, because I knew growing up my mom was a control freak, and she isn't going to change because I have kids and I'm now a grownup... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Hang in there and just keep thinking about when you'll be out of there. It will get better.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I know exactly how you feel! My mom gets mad because I let my son play in the yard with no shoes on. When I was a kid I rarely wore shoes in the summer, then it was only flip flops!

Yesterday she told me I looked pregnant... when I only weight 125 pounds. Later on I was trying to help her pick out some sun glasses at the store and thought we were having fun trying them on. Then she accuses me of making fun of her! Whaaat???
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 3:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Have you tried standing up to her? Tell her they are your kids and you will raise them your way. Tell her that when and if you want her opinion you will ask for it. She is a bully and the only way to stop a bully is to stand up to them. On the other hand its her house. You chose to live there so you chose to live with her. Keep working on getting out of there, cause thats the only real solution.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 6:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• @ louise2 i feel bad for your daughter
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am in your mothers situation. Daughter and 2 grandaughters live with me. A 6 year old and a 21/2 year old that throws fit all day long. I told my daughter my house my rules. You do not want me to tell you how to raise your kids or tell your kids what to and not to do, Move out. Tell then get use to me being in your business.
    Your mother is right you are wrong.

Answer by louise2 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011