What are we doing wrong?

we have a 1 1/2 year old maltese poodle mix and shes been potty trained since 6 months old..but all of the sudden for the last 2 months shes been randomly crapping in the house for no reason..we will have just taken her out and walked her and she will have even gone to the bathroom..we have to sit outside with her for 20 minutes..our walking habits havent changed, nothing has..so why is it that she all of the sudden thinks its ok to poop in the house?? Its getting worse and more frequent and we dont know what else to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pets

• we had a poodle,they are bad for that and chiwawas(spelling)too..i read that poodles have to have there anal glands recessed..dont quite know what that means but thats what i read..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• She may very well have an intestinal issue.

Has anything else in the house changed? Routine, visitors, new baby, moved the furniture? Dogs are extremely sensitive to change and some react adversely.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Have you brought her to the vets?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I've had several small dogs over the years and I've had this problem too. Small dogs are very sensitive and the housetraining is the first thing to go when they get nervous or upset. Have you had even the slightest change in your household? The other thing may be has anything changed outside? My pomeranian refused to go outside when we got new patio furniture.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 1:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I have a maltipoo and he is supposedly potty trained. For the most part he goes to the bathroom outside, but about once every two weeks or so he will mess in the house. It drives me absolutely crazy. I could let him in at 11pm, out at 7am, same routine all the time, late potty breaks before bed, etc and have had no luck changing this. He'll even mess in the house before 5am when my husband gets up for work. We got him from the pound as an adult dog about 4 years ago. The only thing that works is for me to kennel him at night when he has frequent mishaps. After a few days tethered to something indoors or in his kennel he stops for a while. I will not be getting a maltipoo again. One of my friends has a maltipoo. Says the same exact thing.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 2:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ya weve had alot of problems with our maltipoo as well..she will randomly throw up for no reason and stuff as well..she threw up on my dry clean only comforter just recently ...I was not too happy...I know she cant help it but we dont get what the issue is. The vet said sometimes little dogs just get sick..and that maybe we needed to change her food so we did and she still does it..just not as much. Also the vet said little dogs are bad about eating things off the floor that make them sick..which I believe! After i cook dinner she bolts in there to basically lick up the entire floor like we dont feed her..I have to put her upstairs now so she wont do it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Maybe the food change is what is causing the poops?
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I had same problems with my Chihuahua, Caramel. He would pee/poop in house til we finally got him fixed and it helps SO much better. He goes outside & if he has to go, he will go in half bathroom that has pad on the floor & he will go straight there to do his business. Maybe, you can show her where she can go if she has to go like that moment so she would not go anywhere else in the house and make a mess. Good luck :)
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 4:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No doubt, most people have been through this with small dogs (prob large too), but it's like once they do it....it's that much easier just to go back to the same spot or just poop in the house AGAIN...Grrr...I'd be upset too!
    What food do you use...I have 2 Mini Doxies and it took me awhile to find a food that didn't either make them throw up, give them BAD gas or give them diarrhea etc. I finally stuck with Pedigree small bites and that eliminated all those problems. Plus , they only poop 2x a day and they are small because they use up most of the nutrition in the food. It's not so much filler.
    Also, I completely agree with Lorisnyder...about changes in the house, routine, people, anything new, different, can throw little dogs off and they just get nervous and lose it.
    Try going to Cesar Romero's site real quick & finding this problem. http://www.cesarsway.com/features/648/965?page=1&cat=2
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Btw...our cats also kept throwing up (( besides a random hairball now & then))...but it WAS their food! We tried several before we found one that didn't make them throw up as well. All these, what I call Foo-Foo pet foods(dog or cats) , just aren't as great as they sound alot of times. Pets don't need all that extra junk, dyes etc that make food look pretty. I think it makes them throw up.
    Sometimes too, dogs will eat something while outside...like chewing on a random interesting plant or weed and then throwing up. I've had the pleasure of the comforter throw-up as well.....in the middle of the night too. I felt like I was up with a sick child, changing sheets etc LOL
    I hope you find the right answer.....how frustrating, I know.!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2011