Nervous as hell about flying with a 9 months old – Please advise

We are traveling over the holiday with my 9 months old boy. He is tall for his age (about 32 in) so we can’t use the infant car seat. We use the 3 in 1 Convertible car seat. It is medium size. My question is - can we take that into the airplane? I purchased a ticket for him so he will have his own seat. But since he is still little, I don’t want to make him seat thru out the flight. I am not sure if those seats are allowed or do they even fit? I am really nervous and would appreciate any suggestion. Also do you check in your stroller? We will need it since we have 1 connection.

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 12:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your seat is FAA approved (it should say so somewhere on the seat) then you can use it on the plane. If it is too big to fit in your seat, you'll find that out when you get on the plane and then a flight attendant will just gate-check it for you. No big deal. Bring your stroller to the gate with you and gate check that, as well. That way if you end up with a long delay, you won't be stuck without your stroller. A lot of airlines say you can only use an umbrella stroller, but that's a load of crap. Lol... I take my full-size graco stroller to fly all the time and I've never had a problem. Don't be nervous, it will be fine. I used to get really nervous flying with my son, but I've come to realize that there really is no reason to worry. worst case scenario is a baby-meltdown, and really, who cares? I've had that happen (my son screamed an entire flight - ugh) and I still got to my destination just fine. :-)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i was only allowed to take the carseat after i complained at the airline. Because my daughter was only 8months old and wasnt allowed to sit up yet for that long (12hour flight + 14hours delay).. But it always depends on the airline. you should call them and ask about the carseat.

The stroller you will check-in at the gate. They will give you a tag for it.. One for the stroller, one for you. When you arrive at destination they will bring you the stroller back to the gate. So you wait there when you arrive. dont run to the baggage claim ;)

just send me a msg if there is anything else you need to know.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes it does say "Airplane Ready". I don't know if that is the same as FAA approved. So does the seat actually fit in the plane seat? Can I put the plane seat belt around it?
    Like I said it is the slimmer kind -- it is not bulky at all. I wish I paid attention to those moms who flew with kids --- I was too busy rolling my eyes when the baby screamed. Wow -- I can't believe I did that. I apologize to all the moms I was mad at when I flew solo :)
    ZuMama

Answer by ZuMama at 1:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We fly a lot with our little dude (he is now 2). I assume the "airline ready" means it is OK for the flgiht but you might either look in your owners manual or google your carseat to make sure. The seatbelt on the plane will probably need an extender, it always does with our carseat. You just ask for one as you board and it clips into the seatbelt to make it longer.

Just because you bring a carseat doesn't mean they have to be in it the whole time, we try ot have the little guy in it for most of the flight since it is the safest place for him, but we also give him short breaks to sit with one of us or to even stand up for a few minutes.
    shrtsassycutie

Answer by shrtsassycutie at 1:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Check with your airlines about your questions, it varies GREATLY and I'd hate for you to get the wrong information from someone on here.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008