What makes you believe or disbelieve in God?

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 1:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up believing in God. I still feel the same connection I did when I was a little girl!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I simply can not believe in something for which there is no supporting evidence. It isn't a matter deciding to believe or not, if there is no supporting evidence, there is not a decision to be made.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Observing the world, ourselves and our Universe, seeing all that balance and perfection. To me, it's just completely illogical that all that is a random and very lucky accident of forces and molecules who just happen to be there, interact and occur at precisely the right time and place to form all this diversity and perfect balance.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I could ditto Sharon's answer, except the part where all the beauty and perfection can be attributed to a supernatural deity. To me, it makes little sense to put all of that into a god when it seems clear to me that there are very sensible and logical answers to the synchronicity of our world--all based on science, observation and critical analysis.  

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Study, reflection, experience, the feeling as though I have felt His presence/love in my life....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The idea that the bible taught me about him. I believe the universe is what keeps us going and anything beyond that is pointless to think about. Sure, something could have created us but where I began was from nature and the energy source within is the spirit which everything has. That to me is more important. I give thanks to Father Sky and Mother earth because without them I would cease to exist. I do not worship them, I help take care of them.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I believe because I feel him present
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Nothing "makes" me not believe in a god....it's just how my heart speaks to me. I've ALWAYS been this way; and I chose to listen to my heart instead of what is the popular thing to believe.
    I have many questions in my head, and with each answer, more questions pop up. My questioning mind helps my beliefs to continue to evolve and change with time. And I do find that my non belief in a god only gets more and more sollidified.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I believe in God because His miracles are all around us. He listens and He hears our prayers...God has answered my prayers. God has been with me through good and bad. I have an inner peace knowing and believing in God.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• When I was 6, my parents were Hindu, my best friend was Jewish, and there was this little Christian boy who lived on our street who I used to walk home from school with, and we would talk about religion. These conversations must have been ADORABLE! :) I started to realize then that there is no real way to truly believe in one religion without disagreeing with all the others in some way, so how do you choose one? Then I thought, why choose any? That was just the start... Ever since then, everything I've seen, felt and learned has confirmed that god doesn't exist.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011