Child on a leash ...

What do you think when you see a parent with their child on a leash? I'm pregnant and just bought one for my 2 year old son - I figure it may look slightly awful, but I don't trust him in big crowds and I figure it's better for him to have a little freedom than to have to stay right by my side... so lets hear it - what do you think? (BTW - I totally swore I would NEVER do that to a child of mine prior to having my crazy child!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• go ahead and do it. it's no big deal.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• we put my brother and sister on them when we were in Disneyland because they were 3 and 5 but not anywhere but Disneyland i feel like your treating a child like an animal putting a leash on them just my opinion
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would NEVER put my toddler on a leash!! He is not a dog. When we are in crowded areas he holds my hand or stands in back of the stroller! We have a sit and stand stroller and it is the best! We have a 3 year old and a 6 month old.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• it may look silly but if i were to take my 2 yr old to a crowded place i would have to have one!!! hes one of the kids that is gone in 2 seconds.. my 3 yr old doesnt need one though she will stay with me and listen. my bf told me only white people do shit like that lol.. idc though at least my kid will be saffe
    Anonymous

• I also have a crazy child and wish that I had used a leash at times. He loves to run away and has ran into streets and many more dangerous situations. So now I don't think it is such a bad idea anymore.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• When I left my husband and was at the airport with a toddler, carseat and 2 suitcases I put her on a leash. Otherwise there was no way in hell I could make it to the plane.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• First of all it is NOT a leash. It is a Safety Harness. When you have a child who darts out of your hand to grab something shiny in the street because he has no impulse control and nearly gets hit...you will think differently. Even with the harness on I still made him hold my hand at all times. The harness was to ensure he could never get away from me like that again.. People that let the kid pull and tug at the end of the lead are not teaching the child anythiong, and it does appear more like a leash. You still have to train your child to listen and mind. It is merely to ensure safety against their impulses and snatching strangers.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• we did that with ds for a while. he went though a phase of not wanting to hold hands or be held when he was about 1 to 2ish and he was walking around by 11 months. for us it was a safer way to keep track of him and we didnt have a stroller at the time to. i also used it when i took my by myself to Cali from Texas on a plane. it was one of the best way to keep him close.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

dreamangel06

• I've taken a lot of heat over the years for using leashes with my kids. Before they were readily available in the stores, I made my own because it didn't take too many scares (Where's Matthew? He was right here just a moment ago!) for me to realize that something awful could happen in a split second. When we flew to Costa Rica, I didn't have a leash fastened to Matthew and sure enough, even though I was holding his hand, he slipped away and disappeared into a crowded boarding line at another gate. He almost ended up in Japan. The leash is a safety device just like a helmet or a car seat. Don't be afraid to use it.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 1:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011