TMI...again! Sorry about the gross questions but I'm curious...is there any way to avoid having a bm during labor??? adult content

It happened to my sister with her third baby. It hasn't happened to me but being that labor can feel like a big turd...can it be avoided???

justme782

Asked by justme782 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why would you want to avoid it?
    It is normal, happens to most women, is expected, and means that things are "going right"!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• just dont worry about it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 1:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• yes... don't eat anything. be prepared to puke though. 2 out of 3 of my labors I puked!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 1:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You can't "not eat" for 1-3 days prior to birth.
    ESPECIALLY with a spontaneous labor~~

;-)
    doulala

• Vomiting is also a normal part of laboring & dilating.
    We can also expect this whether we've eaten or not~
    all labor...
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Almost every woman has a bowel movement during labor. Its nothing to be embarrest about. No one is gonna say anything or make fun of you. Its not some thing you can control honestly. Its not possible to avoid eating from now until labor. I mean I ate dinner at like 4:30 pm and went into labor at 11:30pm and had my daughter at 4:14pm the next day and I still had a bowel movement when I was pushing. And I hadnt eaten in almost 24 hours. Every one is different though. You might not even have to worry bout it.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I was worried about that too, with my daughter. But it was totally not a big deal. Once you get to the point where you're pushing, ANY relief of the pelvic/rectal pressure is a blessing. It just happens, and it's so totally not a big deal at all. It's so normal, they just sweep it off and continue like nothing happened. Don't worry about it at all.

Back in the old days, women were given enemas so that wouldn't happen. But that's not even an option anymore, because the medical professionals are just so unconcerned about it. Personally, I'd rather just poo on the table than have an enema.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• This is funny but I was so scared of pooping during labor I totally had my butt cheeks clenched while I was trying to push. I ended up having a c section, go figure!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well you can intervene, but unnecessary interventions add unnecessary risks.

Rather than telling yourself there is something "wrong" with Normal, consider adjusting your mindset.
    Appreciate that birth is one special time where modesty rules are off and the priority is whatEVER needs to happen to facilitate a healthy delivery.
    This generally means following instinct.

We are designed to labor and birth, those things that come with it are a normal part of normal birth and have been for thousands of generations.

Let us help you get past the embarrassment so you can Enjoy the Experience, instead.
    ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• emmyandlisa,
    Withholding is a problem for MANY women, it DOES negatively impact the outcome.

:-(

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011