Could prenatal vitamins be the cure to Infertility due to Vitamin Deficiency

I am a 19 year old healthy female that is has problems conceiving; I ask myself, why is it taking so long to get pregnant? We've recently started charting my cycles but we haven't conceived yet. One thing that I do know about myself is although my health is not that bad, my iron levels is still horribly low. I am a at a perfect weight for my height (5'5) thats why I never really paid attention to what I ate and the amount of vitamin intake I had... I really hated taking vitamins that why when people says that your diet can really mess with your fertility I just kept by passing the issue and kept thinking it has to be something else. BUT I found out that my iron deficiency really could make conceiving really hard :-( So I did the right thing... about 2-3 weeks ago I started taking prenatal vitamins and my body is responding to it GREAT. I just wanted to know have any one became more fertile due to taking prenatal vitamins BECAUSE OF THERE VITAMIN DEFICIENCY? ( Yes I know that it doesn't make you any more fertile then you already are ) however I just wanted to know if it helps for the females that are lacking vitamins in there diet? How long does it take for the vitamins to start kicking it? Any one have any experience with this? Advice please ladies!

Lovely_NaNa

Asked by Lovely_NaNa at 2:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I think you are doing the right thing by taking a Prenatal Vitamin now. You should also be taking a Folic Acid vitamin as well. I would wait a month & then go to your OBGYN & have a complete blood work done. They can test for your iron at that time. They had me take a vitamin D pill too. Ask your OBGYN how much "D" you need too. Your husband could also be checked for his sperm count and motility. Have him go to his regular Dr. & ask for a test for that. In the event that you do not conceive within 6 months, go to see a Reproductive Specialist. They can do complete testing on you & your Husband. When I finally saw a RS, I was pregnant within a few months. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011