Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your doctor induce you @ 36 weeks due to low fluid levels? (Steroid shots are already on-board)

I went into PTL @ 30 weeks and got the steroid shots. They stopped the labor and I'm now 36 weeks and my fluid levels have been dropping the past few weeks. I was at 12 (1.5 weeks ago) then 10.7 (1 weeks ago) now at 8.5 (as of tuesday). Doctor told me if I drop around 5 he wants to induce but I'm not really okay with this...What would you do??

Answer Question
 
Mommy2B12009

Asked by Mommy2B12009 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • If I were you, I'd call a midwife or another doctor, tell them your situation and ask if they think it's necessary to induce. Unfortunately, your doc. may have other reasons or is just trying to "play it safe" at your expense.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • I agree with getting a second opinion. While I think that elective inductions are a really bad idea, sometimes it is the lesser of two evils. Just make sure it's really medically necessary. Good luck mama.
    riotgrrl

    Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • At 36 weeks? I would induce if it were best for my baby. My youngest daughter was a 36 weeker without the steroid shots and was perfectly fine. I can't gurantee this would be your case but Ido have to say at this point I think you'll cdo more harm by not inducing then you would do by having the baby at 36 weeks.
    tat2edmommyof2

    Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Definitely try to hold out as long as possible, but if you're baby is at risk then I would get induced.
    sbastille

    Answer by sbastille at 1:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • if your fluids are low thats becoming a sighn that baby wants out i would let your dr induce you if he thinks thats whats best at 36wks its a pretty safe bet baby is going to be healthy maybe alittle on the low birth weight side but healthy. you wana think about the health of your baby sometimes your labor and delivery plans dont go the way you want thats just part of having a baby.
    Mommy2B04

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Fluid Index(AFI) is traditionally the addition of the four pockets, with the normal range from 8 to about 18. There are fuzzy limits beyond these two extremes, but generally...

    AFI < 5-6 = oligohydramnios (oligo, less; hydramnios, fluid)

    AFI > 18-22 = hydramnios or polyhydramnios (poly, much or many)

    On the other hand, a low AFI (oligohydramnios) at or near term may be an indication for delivery, either by induction or C-section. If there were to turn out to be a normal amount of fluid with rupture of membranes during an induction, then the low AFI that prompted the induction was either temporary or wrong.It happens, but ultrasound's the best thing we have to go by, even with its inherent error.
    http://www.gynob.com/biopamfl.htm
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • If it is what is best for the baby then I will do it. I'm more curious about the risks of not inducing vs the risks of being induced and which out weighs the other. I am really against using Pitocin and I'm also a believer in letting the baby come when she is ready. I'm hoping my fluid stays above 5 but if it doesnt I want to have some idea of what I'm going to do.
    Mommy2B12009

    Answer by Mommy2B12009 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Don't be foolish! If fluids are low and the OB says to induce, why risk waiting? Just because YOU'RE a believer in letting the baby come when she's ready, how do you know she's not trying to tell you something? I can't believe anyone would risk serious harm or even death to their child just to have a natural childbirth. Your baby may have other plans. Put the baby fisrt!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • No one said that I would risk harm or death to my child. I was just asking a question. I can still deliver naturally after the medication for induction. I was just curious of others opinions. If my fluid is below a 5 I will ask for a second opinion from the other doc in the practice and possibly have my best friend ask her OB his opinion (Their office is the covering physicians for my doctors when they are off)
    Mommy2B12009

    Answer by Mommy2B12009 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Im being induced at 36 weeks for medical reasons....I wouldnt change that plan since the baby is in danger but dont do something you are uncomfortable with.
    croneasm

    Answer by croneasm at 2:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN