our son has colic, we think he is constipated because his poop is hard when he does go. he fusses and cries we don't know what to do he was on the parents choice gentle for his gas. so we switched him to soy but no we think that has blocked him up what could we do to help him out. oh and hes 7 weeks old

we switched formulas we give him gripe water and gas drops and he is breast fed half of the time

jdaddy

Asked by jdaddy at 2:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colicky babies can be exasperating! but all you can do is hold them and rock them to make them feel secure, and wait it out.

Answer by older at 2:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Nurse more frequently and start cutting out the formula.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Time to talk to his pediatrician about formula etc. You can't give him any type of laxative etc he's way too small. Ask the doctor if you can give him some extra water or juice.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Try nursing exclusively until he gets cleared up. Then slowly re-introduce formula, if you choose to do so.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Do you have a pump or could you get one? That wake you can pump his bottles for the half of the day that you can't nurse. Also, they make "colic" bottles that are supposed to help with stomach problems. I have Avent bottles that I personally think are great. You just have to put them together correctly.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• mine had that problem and I had to switch formulas as well. I went thi gentle ease. But if its is colic, which mine had theres not much you can do about it. But if his poop is hard that doesnt sound good at all! Talk to you doctor about it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 3:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Unfortunately colic just has to run it's course. It usually resolves itself at 3-4 months of age. The gas drops, and gripe water never worked for my son, but chamomile tea did!!!!!!!! Wonders!!!!! And about switching formulas, oh yeah, that constipated them terribly! Ask ur child's ped about Nutramigen, it's much more expensive but it helped my son quite a bit! GL!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Are you able to give your baby breastmilk? It will certainly help clear up his hard poop...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I feel your pain with the colic my daughter is 3 months and has just now grown out of it...As for the constipation my doc told me to give my daughter pedilyte she's 3 months so we give her 4-6 ounces a day of half pedilyte and half water and it has worked...
    SarahLynn1985

Answer by SarahLynn1985 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2011