How much amoxicillin to give a 40 lb child??

First off, no judgement!! My 12 yr old is finished with the antibiotics and I have a free refill. My son is having the same symptoms she is but we do not have insurance. So, I want to know if anyone else has a 40 lb child that has had amoxicillin prescribed recently. I am just wanted to double check what I have come up with versus what other moms have had prescribed. He is having sinus infection type symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I do not at all agree with this. I do not believe you should ever medicate your child without a doctor's okay...I don't care if it's for a common cold. However, because I believe you are going to do it anyway, DD is 40 pounds and was just on amoxcillin a couple of months ago. We gave her 1 tsp twice a day for 7 days.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It is illegal to give someone else a prescribed medicine,since it was not intended for the other child then don't give it to another child. Sorry to go all lawyer talk on u! It will run its course,just keep blowing the nose!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I have three boys and only one can take that medicine and the others have a bad reaction to it. I wouldn't even attempt to give my child medicine that isn't ment for them. How do you even know what is wrong? YOu may think or believe it is one thing but it could be something else. Why enem risk it , does 200.00 mean more to you then your child safety? I know it is rough and all but don't risk it.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Take him to a low cost clinic/ health department to get his own prescription and then take the prescription to a place like publix or wal-mart that do free or low cost generics. I understand what you mean I just think you are risking being in a lot of trouble or making your child sick... or both. And you should look into your states children's health care- qualifying for children's medicaid is easier than you think.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Not judging but unless she has a very high fever, not eating & is lethargic, I would not give her anything. The reason why people are becoming drug resistant (MRSA) is because they have unnecessarily taken antibiotics & when they really need them they do not work. I would let it run it's course and if it gets bad, bring her to the Dr. Not every antibiotic treats every illness. You may be giving her the wrong one than she needs. It could make her more sick.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It doesn't matter what another 40lb child took because it could be different ML you can posion your child or harm your child if you give them someone elses medicine. How about you contact a low income clinic or go to a doctor office and have your child seen. I know it can be rough without insurance but you need to be seen by a doctor before you give your child anything. what if your child is allergic to that antibiotic?
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think you should call a pharmacy and tell them that he tore the tag off of his own medication and ask what the right dose was for a 40lb kid.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• the problem is that I can guarantee if I take my son in after my daughter has been sick they will prescribe him the exact same thing just a different dosage...and tell me just in case lets put him on antibiotics. they do it alot it seems. but it will cost me roughly $200 to take him in and have them tell me this. That is ridiculous considering I have the medicine right here at home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• he has had this medicine before. he is not allergic.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• the low cost clinic costs just as much as the regular doctor. we make barely too much to qualify. Trust me I know. because my daughter is on medicaid but my son is not. she is from my previous marriage and my son is from this one. we can't afford insurance, but we make barely too much to qualify for the low cost alternatives. I've tried it all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011