Does your husband/partner read as much about pregnancy/childbirth as you do?

So I'm in the third trimester and have been reading a ton. I tell my husband things I've read and he's mildly interested. We just had dinner with his guy friend who just had a baby and this friend read a ton of books and knew all kinds of info. Now I find myself annoyed that my husband isn't as interested. We're taking a childbirth class together in Feb. but it annoys me that he isn't reading as much as I am. I know it's different for men, but am I going to be the one doing everything when the baby is here just because I know more? It's so annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• never did he pick up a book... with our first though he was in iraq and asked all his buddies out there for tips and advice... they all go about it differently, you know, take it as it comes, advice, and books either way that's how they deal with it.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• No my hubby doesn't read anything at all and a lot of times seems not really excited about the baby coming any day. I think it's just different for some men and my hubby happens to be one of those type. Good luck with your baby.
    RoseAsh

Answer by RoseAsh at 1:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• lol its a guy thing for some guys dont let it frustrate you and you wont be doing everything when baby gets here. just cuz he doesnt know much about pregnancy and what not doesnt mean he wont know how to change the baby and do all that stuff. my husband is clueless when it comes down to things about pregnancy and delivery and even alittle clueless about how to care for a newborn but i have to have faith in him that he can atleast do the basics. we as mothers just think we must know everything but you can read as much as you want and you still wont know it all.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• HELL naw. My boyfriend doesn't want to hear anything about bodily fluids or c-sections or episiotomies or epidurals or meconium or breastmilk. He doesn't even know how to change a diaper. If I want him to read something, I have to put it in front of him and say "Read." lmao. It's a guy thing...they learn as they go, I think they like it better that way :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think most men are like that. My DH never wanted to read anything...but he still is a great dad and he was even good in L&D. If there was something really important I thought he should read, I would tell him how important I thought it was and he'd read it to make me happy. Don't worry, chnaces are your DH will do just fine!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• no i informed him of everything i read, but he was no stranger to pregnancy (his mom had 11 kids hes #4)so he pretty much knew what to expect.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• NEVER...he doesn't feel like he has to do any reading about pregnancy at all,since i'm the 1 who will be having the baby.(SIGH>) It would be great if he would care to just a lil bit though. I'm the 1 who has to tell him anything i want him to know about the baby,or the pegnancy, what changes my body is going through,etc.
    I would love for him to ask more questions, but u can't change how a person is ={
    So w/ this pregnancy i have tried to make him feel more involved by showing him pics of the baby and telling him about the changes the baby is going through...I think it's helping so far.
    Aneq

Answer by Aneq at 8:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• No, I have made him read a few things to teach him how to say no to interventions if we end up at a hospital. SOme things I have him read if he's not comfortable or is worried but I don't expect him to read as much as I do.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• No, he didn't read anything as far as I know, and it did annoy me sometimes. Of course, by him not reading, it meant I was the expert and he had to listen to me! I asked him once why he seemed so unconcerned about it, and he said he knew what ever was going to happen was going to happen, and he knew I was on top of things and had excellent doctors. He's just not a worrier - that's my job! Also, I did find out from talking to his grandmother that he was really much more excited and informed than he let on to me.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2008