How do I get my son to eat on his own?

My son still doesnt know how to eat his food with a spoon on his own he is 18 months now.

Love_Levi

Asked by Love_Levi at 3:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• girl my dd doesnt either..she hasnt even tried and shes 16mnths I truthfully have not been all that worried about it..mmmm now you have me to thinking!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Give it time. Eating with utensils is HARD. My kids are 4 and 7 and STILL want to eat with their fingers.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• give him a spoon to play with while your feeding him, eventually, he´ll want to do what you´re doing and will start putting spoonfuls into his mouth (probably most of it will fall out, but, it´s practice!). By age 4, DD was learning to cut with her own little mini-knife and fork!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 3:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Give it some time. He'll eventually start using a spoon.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well i let him use his hands to eat all of his food now! I have a little bit of OCD so when he makes a mess I like have a mini panic attack
    Love_Levi

Comment by Love_Levi (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Spoons can be difficult for some children. Feed lots of finger foods so that you are sure he has enough and help with the spoon. Sometimes children refuse because they want you to do it. If you think he knows how, don't fall for that one. If he wants what's in the bowl enough, he'll do it!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011