Help!!! I just threatened to diaper my 4 1/2 year old!

OK- so any great ideas would be appreciated. My four and a half yr old DS has been potty trained for two years now. In the last few months we have had the probem of him not wanting to washhis hands after he sits on the potty. I have explained germs, I have told him he could get sick, I have showed him how dirty potties are.... Nothing seems to get through to him.

So last night we were getting ready for bed and as I am dressing teh 2 yr old I hear 4 ur old go potty. I then hear - "mom I need toothpaste." I walk into the bathroom and he has 4 toothbrushes in his hands and is standing at the perfectly dry sink. I ask, "Did you wash your hands?" His reply is, "No- why?" So I explain that touching our toothbrushes without washing our hands after going potty is like putting our toothbrushes in the toilet- and now they are all dirty and full of germs and need to be thrown out." NOW he gets upset. He starts yelling at me about how I CANNOT throw away his toothbrush. I explain again about germs and the such. He says eh promises to wash from now on. "I understand mom" Yea- right. This morning same thing - and another toothbrush!!!! I now threatened to put him in diapers again if washing his hands is such a problem. He can't go to summer camp or school if he is in diapers so I thought this would work. I am at a loss and I feel liek crap for even telling him that--- but I am at my wits end. I am due to have another baby any day now and do NOT want toilet germs all over my house and the new baby!

I know some of you mamas out there will be able to help me with this.

chrys45

Asked by chrys45 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why not get him some "special soap". (Hand sanitizer) Make a big ta do about how he gets his special soap and he should use it after every potty visit.

You already know you were wrong to threaten to put him in diapers. That was just dumb. Honestly germs aren't the end of the world even with a baby coming. I'd just make a big deal over how he gets to have his own special soap to use and perhaps do a sticker chart. Every time he washes his hands he gets a sticker. And at the end of the week he gets a special treat for following the rules.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I totally agree with SalemWitchChild except for the being wrong about threatening diapers. Parents get frustrated sometimes and telling him by threatening diapers that he is acting like a baby is not the end of the world. It will show him there are responsibilities of being a "big boy. The sanitizer would work or if you go to even the Dollar Tree they have kids soap for the sink in different characters that would be his "special" soap that no one else gets to use.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Try a visual a picture of hands with soap by the toilet. Maybe a rewards chart as well. I agree with SWC. I like her idea of hand sanitizer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We will be heading to the store shortly to get HIS soap
    chrys45

Comment by chrys45 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• The frogy soap that comes out a foam makes my kids want to wash! (you can refill the bottle with regular hand soap and it foams too!)
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• kids lov the foam soap so i woudl get that one
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 6:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Thank you ladies I appreciate the helpful tips. DS had rotovirus when he was an infant. So I KNOW FULL WELL the kinds of germs that can come from not cleaning up properly after using the bathroom. He got it from someone's unsanitary ways. And I do not want to EVER go through that with any of the other babies. Easily the most horrible thing of my life holding him down for them to try to get an IV in his poor little dehydrated body.
    Hugs ladies!
    chrys45

Comment by chrys45 (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011