God talks back

When a person talks to God that's praying, right. When God talks back, why do people think you're nuts? Just asking!

RidingPink

Asked by RidingPink at 1:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because other people may not hear him because they haven't asked him in their life so they really don't think he actually talks. People don't grasp how real he is.
    Anonymous

• If I was to tell someone that I had a lengthy conversation with a Pink Elephant or Frosty the Snowman they'd probably think I'm nuts. Some conversations need to be kept between those that had them. Kinda along the lines of 'don't kiss and tell'. Some things should be kept private and savored as such. Just my opinion though
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I guess it depends on the manner by which God talks back to you! I'm all for people experiencing a sense of peace during prayer, a sense of oneness, a sense of being heard and responded to, a sense of epiphany or new understanding or a question answered to them. I've had similar experiences during meditation or prayer and can see how some people would interpret that as God 'talking to them.' However the other side of the debate is that many people who are quite literally hearing disembodied voices have mental health issues. I've worked as a social worker in mental health before and have had schizophrenic clients who quite literally heard voices and sometimes attributed them to God, the devil, space aliens, conspiring neighbours, the Queen of England, etc. I guess in my view- warm sense of oneness with the universe or God- spiritual experience. Actual disembodied voice in your head- red flag!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Only because God is very quiet in a very busy world. And most people don't bother taking the time to sit in silence where they can Hear what He has to say.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i think it depends on what God is telling you. so many ppl use the "God told me to" line to justify their actions. if God's telling someone to do something thats insane, then they ARE crazy. but if they said God told them to be strong, patient, worry-free, ect. then i dont think they are crazy.

personally, ive never had God talk to me w/ words...cause thats consider crazy on a psychological level haha. but ive seen his actions in my life & ive come to realize things that i believe is God's way of helping me, & dreams that i remember sometimes feel like God is communicating...but not actual words.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I pray all the time... and let's clarify:
    Talk? Like speak? Like a human speaks?
    God "speaks" to me through signs or sudden surfacing realizations...
    Are you saying you actually hear a voice? No offense, but if someone told me that, I would just think they were lying or exaggerating to get their point across.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It all depends on one's level of faith. If a person has very little faith and understanding about why would He bother. Remeber when Jesus came to heal but many people did not get what he came for because of their unbelief. If a person can only understand him in the common he will use common ways to speak. For the those of us that believe he can do the supernatural He will manifest himself in a Supernatural way. the bible say He only tells his secrets to His friends. Everybody the claim to be christian is not his friend.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 3:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't think God talks back persay, I think it's more of your concious talking to you. Maybe that is his way of talking to you but not directly to you. The Bible tells you about this...and how and why God no longer talks directly to us anymore. Like the burning bush and all that.
    Anonymous

• There is nowhere in the bible that says Jesus no longer talks back. What kind of relationship would it be be your whoever doesn't talk back? If you have a relationship with the Lord he will talk back. If God isn't talking back you need to check your relationship with him.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 3:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• One time when I was having a bad reaction to a med I was put on I swear I heard a female voice tell me "everything will be okay (my name) just sleep " It was no voice I had ever heard before or again and nobody was in the room with me. Was it the goddess, and angle, who knows? Was it just a reaction to the meds maybe. All I know was that voice was right it told me what to do and I did and it worked. Nobody has ever said I was just hearing things at least not to my face most believe it was some spiritual guidance from beyond. I certainly did and I was very thankful for it. On the other had I think the god's sometimes talks to people through signs people just don't realize it and dismiss it as a coincidence or fluke. Remember you have to be listening to hear something.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008