How can I get my 8 month old to sleep on her own?

My 8 month old daughter has never had problems sleeping through the night or putting herself to sleep. But lately things have changed due to her learning to pull herself up and stand in her crib. When we lay her down she refuses to sleep unless we are standing over her. She's never needed us in the room before. We have tried letting her cry it out, but last night she was up for hours after she was ready for bed. After 2 hours I took her into my room and let her fall asleep on me. Then I put her in her crib and a few hours later she woke up crying and I went in to find her standing in her crib. She just wont lay down. Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, do you have any suggestions for us? I dont want to let her keep sleeping in my bed because then she'll never go back to sleeping in her own again. I dont want to teach her bad habits....so can someone help.

chris0615

Asked by chris0615 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can you lower your matress so she cant reach the rails .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes I tried that the day she learned standing. That didnt work...but thanks for the suggestion.
    chris0615

Answer by chris0615 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Elijah does that but usually after an hour of crying, we go in his room put on some music and lay him back down and he may cry for another 15mins but then he gives up and goes to sleep.
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my son is 5 months old, and has always been a great sleeper, i keep preparing myself for when he changes... i have modified his routine a few times, he has always gotten a body massage, it helps him relax, when I put him to bed, if he starts to cry, i let him.. he's rolling over all over the place, but after about 20 min of crying, i go in, and roll him over on his tummy and he is out like a light. I wish you luck in keeping her out of your bed.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i have an 18 month old that still needs me to put her to bed and i know its important for her to learn to go asleep on her own but ive taught her{not realizing it} that mommy puts her to sleep...bad habit and i am now exploring ways to help her out of that habit ...so my advice is dont let her in your bed!!
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• She is learning to maniuplate you. Let her cry it out. She will give up after a couple of days. It will likely be worse now that you have let her come to your bed. Stick to your guns and make her put herself to sleep.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008