Am I pushing myself too hard or am I not healed fully?

Ok, so I sprained my ankle 11 weeks ago, to the day. It was a moderate sprain from what I could discern and I thought it was healed, although it was still semi-swollen (bigger than my other one but not too terribly big) and it still ached every once in awhile, especially if I walked too much, but chose to ignore that b/c I didn't think anything about it for some reason.

Well lately I've been trying to workout and exercise more to lose weight but after I get done, my ankle hurts to where I start to limp a bit. Am I pushing myself too hard or has my ankle just not healed fully?

I'm not looking for medical opinions, although those are welcome too, just what you think. Thanks for your help.

Megan

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Health

• When your ankle starts hurting, alternate hot and cold on it and take Ibuprofen. It may not be healed completely from being sprained. Sprains take a long time to heal, especially when you keep aggravating it. If you need to work out or you know that you will be out walking a lot, wrap it to help support it. I had hurt my ankle during a work out and it took 3 months to be able to do a work out with out it being wrapped.

Anonymous

• Should I go to the doctor about the swelling that has never gone away?
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• its always worth a looksie.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• "It hurts when I do this"
    "Than don't do that!!"

Listen to your body. It hurts, its telling you to stop whatever you are doing. Give it a few more weeks of rest. Hot/cold may make it feel better for a while but won't encourage healing. Only rest,, hydration and good nutrition promote healing.

Stay off of it!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 1:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008