Do you homeschool?

How do you know if it's a good fit for your family? Do you order a ciriculum or make your own? At what age did you start?

My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 and I am thinking of homeschooling them both.

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 4:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've been homeschooling since my oldest was in 6th grade. She will be 26 in September. I have done both with the curriculum, but I find that mixing it up works best for us because we can spend more time on something that we want to learn more about or need to learn more about. My youngest started at 18 months because she wanted to "do school" with the bigger kids. You'll find as you go on if it is good for you. I have found very few people who didn't like it and that includes single moms who work full-time. There is a lot more flexibility, children can learn at their pace instead of being a cookie cutter child, there are actually more opportunities to socialize instead of all with the same aged children. I can go on and on. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I'm still working on my website with all kinds of information.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes, we do homeschool. We started when our kids were older (grades 9 and 5) and I wish we had started younger. We opted to homeschool because our local school systems are terrible. I create our curriculum based on the state standards and what my kids want to learn about.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No . The schooling my daughters receive is excellent . My husband and I , though degreed , would not be able to match it by homeschooling . It might have been possible when they were younger but now they are in their early teens it would be impossible to cover the curricula in both the arts and the sciences to prepare them for University.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We do home school. I started when my eldest was 8. He is autistic, he receives speech, ot and ABA daily. If he were in school he wouldn't have time for his therapies. It works wonderful for us. My 3 year old has shown interest in attending public school, so I'm considering preschool to see how he does. I have a very general curriculum and I supplement with internet and other material as we go along. It's been really wonderful as we can cater to my ds's level and interests. If it's something you think you want to try, do it. If it's not for you then you will know and you can always send them back to school. I also agree with the socialization, my ds has far more opportunities to socialize than he did in school (self contained classroom) with typical and special needs children. It's not for everyone, but we love it!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011