Inlaws.....

Last night we had our first cookout at our new house. Just a few members of my husbands family came. Well, of course, my in-laws inviting themselves (Mother/Father-in-law). They got here and my mother-in-law refused to take her shoes off....we have white carpet and there's no way anyone is getting it dirty. They then proceeded to eat, stayed another 10 minutes, and left. They were probably here about an hour at the most. They always do this. I find it somewhat insulting to spend all day cooking and cleaning and then have people just eat and leave. We always stay and visit whenever we are invited....and we ALWAYS help clean up. My MIL did not lift a finger while my SIL is 8 1/2 months pregnant and helped me tremendously. Does this happen to you? And if so, does it make you mad too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I stopped letting my MIL know when we were doing any kind of get together. It's sad that it has to be that way, but if she knows about anything I'm doing she invites her whole family, even people who we never hang out with. Then, she acts like our house is hers and I'm here as the servant. I can't tell you how much I hate that woman. I'm sorry your MIL treats you badly. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My in-laws don't only not help out, they request things! You know, what they want to eat when they come visit and everything. When I was 8 months pregnant she was asking me to get down on the floor and re-arrange her cabinets for her. grrr. I never knew marrying her son made me her personal servant! Is it in the fine print somewhere and we missed it? They live over an hour away and I don't see them much. There is MUCH more but I'll stop here. YES it makes me so incredibly irritated!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 5:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My MIL generally helps with dishes, but she is just rude to people. She is always late, always a food critic, starts family drama related conversation when there's no call to do so, constantly brags on my SIL who lives out of state and how well she's doing. First of all, she isn't doing any better than any of the rest of us. LOL But she will sit there and bore my family's side and friends with talking all about her and that daughter of hers. I'll trade her for one that doesn't help but keeps their mouth shut. Any takers? :)
    Anonymous

• Just be glad they leave befor they start problems. You are lucky!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There's only 1 thing you can do. Don't invite them anymore unless they can conduct themselves in a respectful manner.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 10:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The saddest part about it is that we did not invite them. My BIL and SIL had said something about coming over (they were invited) and my In-laws invited themselves. She stood there and gave my son a 15 minute lecture about how he needed to learn how to do laundry....I told him afterward that he should've just walked away. They are always like this. At my youngest son's 1st birthday party, they threw a fit because I wanted to wait an extra 15 minutes for my sister to get there before we said prayer. They are nearly unbearable. I'm sorry to the rest of you who have unbearable in-laws!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011