Chores/Responsibilities for my 7yo DS??

Summer time has been nothing but him with his nose to his DSi or Movies. We are getting out of that rut pronto!!

I want to give him some chores to do. Currently he is in charge of taking trash out and replacing the bag in the trash can. That and his room, but that is pretty much it.

Its just me and 3 kids (DH is deployed) so I need him to help without making him overwhelmed. He is a very smart boy, and very helpful w/the 2 littler ones. We all signed up for library activites over the summer, so we at least get out 2-3x a wk with that. We have a pool, I'm not going for an all work and no play thing lol Just wanting him to gain some responsibility :)

What do you have your kid(s) do as chores?

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 5:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Fold socks and washcloths....they're pretty easy for a kid his age. He could learn to sweep floors and mop. Even if whatever he does isn't done the best, he's still helping and it's teaching him. My kids fold clothes and if they don't fold something the way I do, I refold it in the other room. Find small things for him to do and work up to bigger things like doing dishes, etc.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 5:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• folding laundry, cleaning the pool (without supervising of course) or picking up outdoor toys. dry dishes, or do the dishes (you may want to avoid knifes or glass however depending on his maturity).
    You can also have the littler ones help out as well with some chores. My three year old keeps her toy room clean, dries some dishes, helps with laundry and loves to help with dinner
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• fold and gather laundry..u can have him start the washer...just put a sticker where he has to set the loads to and show him how to add the soap....he can wipe down counters and tables and the bathrooms. my 8 yr old can sweep the floor and vacuum.
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Help setting the table and cleaning up, laundry, dusting, the trash that he already does.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 9:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Clean the room, set the table, pick up toys...
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 9:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My daughter (who is 7) doesn't have any chores or jobs but the things she helps with are things like folding clean towels (hand towels, bath towels folded in thirds & then rolled, and washcloths), pulling weeds in the garden, watering plants. She likes to set the table & clear the table (this is not something she does all the time, but she is willing to do it whenever.) She will get the brush & dustpan and sweep down the stairs (starting at the top.) That takes awhile but she does a good job. Her two-year-old brothers are starting with that one, too (for some reason, my husband has always shown the little ones how to sweep the stairs.)
    She takes care of washing out her paint brushes after using them, gathers her dirty laundry (she has a hamper but for some reason we haven't put it back in her room & so she just collects her clothes for me.) She is always willing to get involved in a cooking project. She likes to grease pans!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My kids empty the bathroom trash, clean the mirrors and fingerprints off the glass doors, dust, my daughter just turned 8 but she can push the vacuum, they go around with wet rags and clean icky spots off the floor, they can put away some stuff from the dishwasher.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My son has to make his bed and pick up the room and help me with the dishes and help put away his clothes. I also give him little side chores like helping with the garden for extra money.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think at that age, he can sort his own laundry or put his own laundry away (at least undies, socks, shorts). Make his bed everyday.
    Extra chores could be swishing the toilets and wiping down bathroom sinks once a week. He could also dust or vacuum.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My son cleans his room, takes the trash out, clears the table sometimes, puts his laundry away
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2011