Seriously at my wits end...

My 2 1/2 year old is obsessed with her poop...she "played" with her poo the first time about a year ago...then after that I learned never to put her to bed without pants on well eventually she obviously learned to take her own pants off at nap time and here we are again...it just keeps happening i dont know what else to do. I tried putting her diaper on backwards, inside out sleeper, layers of clothes...and now a onsie which worked for a few months, but now instead of taking the onsie off she just sticks her hands inside of her diaper and pulls it out that way..im so grossed out and sooooo tired of cleaning up these messes over and over and over ...Its happened 3 times just this week!! The only time she is left alone in her room is at nap time or night time..so its been happening at nap time..I told DH the only other thing I can think to do is stop giving her naps, but when she doesnt get her nap its like the end of the world..but I dont know what else to do!! PLEASE I need HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Packing tape. The clear kind. Put on her diaper. And wrap it around. It would deter the ones in my moms daycare.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Ya but that stuff has chemicals on the tape, I dont want to put that on her skin
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I've actually never heard of that to such an extreme, but I do like Mme.Langley's idea above. Do you suppose she's ready to start potty training beings she knows what's going on?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Put the tape on the diaper, NOT her skin.
    m-avi

• I dont know how that will help..it will still have access if its not taped to her skin (which isnt something I want to do) shes not even taking the diaper off anymore shes just stick her hands into the diaper

When this all first started I REALLY thought she was ready to be potty trained..she was showing so many of the signs....instead that has also been a battle. She IS excited about the potty and even asks to go potty but when you put her on the potty she screams and cries shes done...weve tried a childs potty, the big potty and the little kids sized potty thing you put ON the big potty..she has the same reaction to all three of the ways weve tried.....I seriously want to cry because I dont know what else to do!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I know this might not be very helpful..but perhaps this is something you could ask your dd pediatrician about. They might have some ideas?? I'm sure you're not the only parent dealing with this issue. Wish you the best of luck!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 5:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• get the little potty and put it infront of the tv for the day, no diaper, and have her sit on it all day. Get out books and magazines too for her. She can get up for a half hour after she actually pottys on the potty, and give her a reward for it (sticker, or whatever works for you). After halfway through the first day, move it to every hour after she goes let her have play time then back to the potty. Day two, start off the same way as day one, no diapers, make her sit on the potty until she goes, then let her play for an hour and repeat. Halfway through day two, you can let her try to use it herself when she has to go. This will allow you to also find out her schedule for pees and poops (not every kid has one but you can get a general estimate on tming, and hopefully by potty training you can get her to stop pulling the poo out of her diapers).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Have you tried talking with her about it? What is it she likes about playing with the poop? Maybe she could play with play dough instead. Let her know that sometimes poop has very bad germs that can make her and everyone else in the house sick -- that's why we have to flush it away, and wash our hands extra clean after potty.

Regarding potty training: perhaps books and/or videos about potty training (geared for little ones) might help her understand that people don't play with poop, and help her to feel comfortable with sitting on a potty. Ask her (when she is calm) what she likes and doesn't like about the potty. Don't judge or correct whatever she says. Just get her to talk about it, so you can better understand what's going on from her point of view. From there, you can better formulate a plan that will work. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• When my daughter started doing stuff like that I asked my mom. She told me to get one of those baby safety pins they use for cloth diapers and safety pin her zipper to her sleeper so she cant unzip it. That worked for us.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011