Gassy one month old sleeping on left side

My baby girl has had trouble with staying asleep because of her tummy troubles. She'll scrunch up, wiggle around, and fuss until finally she'll pass gas. Then it happens over and over again. :[ In a 2-3 hour nap she'll wake up several times in pain and I'll have to come in to hold her pacifier (she likes to gnaw on it when it starts to hurt) in and rock the bassinet. I've looked up all I could on what to do to help. I've started burping her 2-3 times per side when I'm nursing her, she gets lots of tummy time (about an hour a day) which is supposed to help as well, plus she has a vibrating chair that I thought would help relieve some of the gas.

Well just today I found out that laying on your left side can help with gas as well, so after she was done with tummy time I put her on her left side with the boppy pillow behind her and me in front of her to keep her comfy. Let me tell you, it was almost instantly she started tooting away. She probably let 3-4 out in just five minutes and I could tell that it made her feel better. I made the decision to lay her down on her left side in her bassinet for her nap to see if it helped at all. She has a sleep positioner that I moved down so that her chin/head isn't even it in, it's by her middle section. I keep checking her, and honestly she seems very content. Usually I have to lay her down after she's rocked to sleep and she'll still wake up sometimes, but this time I laid her down while still awake but sleepy. I figured she'd hate being on her side anyway so might as well try while she's still up. Nope, she passed right out!

Now it's only been about an hour and I try to get her to sleep 2-3hrs at a time so there's still time to find out if it's really helping her stomach or not. I know sleeping on the stomach is bad for SIDS, but how many of you lay your baby down on their side? How many of you noticed an improvement in gas and being able to stay asleep for longer from laying baby down on left side?

ours

Asked by ours at 5:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it maybe something your eating thats causing it

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html some more info on it

Gen

Answer by Gen at 5:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I don't think so. She has had no issues with spitting up/vomiting, having dirty diapers or congestion.

"Sensitivity to something in mother's diet, including any vitamin/iron supplements, etc. See Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies. If this is the reason, you will most likely notice other symptoms, such as excessive spitting up or vomiting, colic, diarrhea, rash, persistent congestion or runny nose."
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think that she's just more sensitive to the feeling that having gas bubbles give her than other babies, or maybe just has more trouble passing gas.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011