What's your homesick food?

The one thing Grandma or Mom always made, or the special restaurant/ice cream place/local food you can only get where you grew up, but not where you live now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Fried chicken that my grandmother used to make. She passed away in 1981, so it's been a long time-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I so miss Portillo's! It's a burger place back in the Chicago area, and my youngest son is built on their food. They have one location in Buena Park, CA and we go there every time we visit California, since we will never be back in Chicago.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• my moms homemade cinnamon rolls with icing. She has to make every time she visits from out of state and makes enough to freeze extra for me.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I miss Portillo's, too, but it's kind of a bittersweet thing for me. I went there with my Dad the last time I saw him before he died. I miss Oberweis, too.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I know it sounds weird, but Alphagetti with bread and butter is comfort food for me. My mom used to make it once and a while and for some reason if I'm a little sad or lonely it always makes me feel better. I usually keep a can at the back of the pantry just in case.
    I also have a soft spot for the poached eggs that my grandmother makes. She makes them with tomatoes and cheese and they are great. I could totally make them myself, but they just don't taste the same as when she does it.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I miss my grandma's banana pudding. She would only make it at Christmas, and us grandkids would help her by putting the vanilla wafers and bananas in the bowl for her. Grandma passed away in 1999. I hope she will have some waiting for me in heaven!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My Grandma's wilted lettuce salad. It's a Dutch thing. I know how to make it but it just isn't the same as hers. She's still alive but in a nursing home and there's no way she could make it anymore :( I haven't had it in years.
    Anonymous

• My mom still makes it. Baked Cream of Mushroom chicken...mmmmm!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my moms lefsa,..... always amazing then I spent years mastering her meatloaf and got it down to where it tastes exactly like hers...I used to hang out with my mom while she cooked and my sister never bothered so the other day I was at her house and she wanted to make meatloaf..her way which is nasty IMO so I showed her how to make it like moms :)

One thing I do miss is Shakey's pizza it was one of the few places my mom took us out to eat at.

my mom, in her later years, lived with her sister who loved to bake so I miss my aunts from scratch brownies and her nut goody's
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My comfort food is homemade mac and cheese.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2011