When you had your second child did you have your first child come to the hospital right away or wait to get home to introduce them to there new sibling?

My mil thinks my DD (who will be 13 months when new baby is due) shouldn't be forced to go to the hospital and should stay with her (just a way to take our DD) but DH and I want her to meet her sibling and were wondering if anyone ever took there children to the hospital after the baby was born we'd really like to have our DD be apart of the big day please and thanks for any advice or personal stories.

krissii

Asked by krissii at 6:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I waited to come home, my first born was too young to expose her to a hospital, she was barely a year old.

Answer by older at 6:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My son (who was 3 at the time) was at the hospital less than an hour after his brother was born. He was really excited! Also, we wanted to make sure he knew I was ok, because he had been a little freaked out at the thought of his mommy being in the hospital.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We always have them come and visit for an hour our so and then they head out. It is very overwhelming for little ones and hard in the hospital. Sometimes my husband goes home with them at that point. It all depends who we have watching them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• mine went to see her new born sister in the hospital the day after she was born. She was fine with it and gave us some time with the new baby first as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I didn't keep them up there all day with us, but I had someone bring them up to the hospital as soon as I had the siblings. I wouldn't want to wait until we got home.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Mine were right there! Directly after I was moved to recovery, my LOs were brought in!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I had all of my kids there as soon as we got setup in a room, able to have visitors & someone was able to bring them (the youngest even brought was 20 mos). They loved it & I think it enhanced their connection & feelings a little more by being in the hospital with us, as well as making them feel like they were a big & important part of the new baby also. Them being in the hospital lets them see a new sibling on a bigger level than just the mom coming home with the new baby. Kinda makes everything more real, so to say.
    goingcrazywith5

Answer by goingcrazywith5 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• well when my 2nd was born my oldest had already passed away but with the next (we are trying) we plan to bring him with us when we go and have him there the whole time with us itll be a schulde c-section and we want him there every step of the way hell be 3 in 2 weeks!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 6:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My 1st ds was 13 months when my 2nd ds was born. We call family when I am ready to push and my parents, who had my son, came and brought him at that time. They all waited in the waiting room and when his little brother was born everyone came in. We got some family pictures and then either my parents or inlaws took him home (I don't remember, lol) When my dd was born we did the same thing. My inlaws had the boys and hung out in the waiting room with them. They all then came in and got family pictures and went home. The boys were almost 2 and almost 3 then. I liked that they were able to meet their siblings right away.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• right away.. only cause i didn't have a babysitter.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 6:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2011