Calling someone a ni**er........

I went to the store to pick up some things for MIL. When I got to the register there was a line of three other people. While waiting, the black guy at the cash register forgot something and ran back to pick it up. The white guy behind him shook his head and screamed out "Hurry up you ni**er!" Everyone burst out laughing including the cashier until they saw me, the only black person in line. I just stood and stared while it processed in my brain. I end up walking out the store without the things i was suppose to get for MIL. I don't know what happened after that(pretty sure the black man heard him, the white guy was pretty loud). I went back to MIL's house(having a barbecue) and she asked me where the stuff was. I explained to her what had happened and how I just left everything there. She told me I should have gave the man a piece of my mind. What would you have done if you was in that situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• OP, I can understand your feelings and your reaction ~ because as a white woman I've heard the same sort of 'name calling'. Racism isn't racist, and it is alive and well. As JackieGirl noted, it is taking place within this very question. People really should stop and think how their words sound to other people before they complain (NOT in reference to the OP ... I want to be very clear on that!).

That being said, that word has a meaning and I HAVE used it in that context towards some people although their skin color had nothing to do with my thoughts or my words.

Carpy, I hope they leave Tom Sawyer alone! That's as wrong as rewriting history so that today's children think that only white people ever owned (or do own) slaves.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would have asked for the manager. Theres probably nothing much the manger could have (unless the cashier would have said that) done but the cashier should have not laughed at this.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Are people equally offended when Chris Rock among others makes 'jokes' or calls white people names? Or is it only NOT okay to make negative remarks about blacks?
    Anonymous

• "I know white people will get it soon, maybe even in our life time"? Wow. That attitude is just as bad as the people in the store.
    Anonymous

• Lizzybee44 I lived in a black neighborhood and I experience the same prejudice. It does happen to white people too.
    ........................................................................
    The guy was white trash! glad you ignored him, but you should of bought the stuff. I would of told the mangier what happen and told him the charier was wrong to laugh. She should of told the customer that was rude.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Your MIL was right. You should've said something. Sometimes people don't know how hurtful they can be until someone brings that to their attention.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• There is no right or wrong here. If you called him on it fine and if you were too stunned to, I completely understand. It isn't like he did not know he was wrong. Sorry you had to deal with that.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Does it make it right for anyone to make a racist comment? NO! I would of said something and talked to a manager. At least call the manager.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I can't imagine this. Maybe our culture is becoming desensitized to the word. ( music, tv, etc). If someone gets used to hearing word in the music they listen to, they may see nothing wrong with it. I would have said something to them.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• "Hurry up you ni**er!"

You hear this in movies, on BET, in rap music, and down the halls of my middle school all the time. The only difference is that it is blacks saying it to blacks. I hate a double standard. If it is not ok for a white person to say it, it is NOT ok for a black person to say it. Until blacks stop using it, nothing will change. Permission is given when it is put on blast with the sound systems of cars as they ride down the rode or pull up anywhere and the world hears it. I'm glad you don't like the word, but it has to stop everywhere. Being indignant a white person is just as racist as you saw the person saying the word as being.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011