Do you need higher electricity bills?

Another Obama promise was to raise electric rates.

Consumers could see their electricity bills jump an estimated 40 to 60 percent in the next few years.

The reason: Pending environmental regulations will make coal-fired generating plants, which produce about half the nation's electricity, more expensive to operate. Many are expected to be shuttered.

The increases are expected to begin to appear in 2014, and policymakers already are scrambling to find cheap and reliable alternative power sources. If they are unsuccessful, consumers can expect further increases as more expensive forms of generation take on a greater share of the electricity load...

Exactly how much bills will go up is unclear.

What analysts know is that a portion of ComEd bills that pays electricity generators to reserve a portion of their power three years into the future will increase more than fourfold. That would translate into increases of $107 to $178 a year for an average residential customer in ComEd's territory, starting in 2014, according to calculations by Chris Thomas, policy director for consumer advocacy group Citizens Utility Board.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0612-rates-20110611,0,7432941.story

Video of Obama statements here
http://nation.foxnews.com/coal-industry/2011/06/12/team-obama-making-electricity-rates-neccessarily-skyrocket-60

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ours are crazy expensive already. I would hate to see it go up any.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• They have gone up. It's called inflation. Everything is going to go up.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• expensive enough as it is. Ans I try to keep it as low as possible, I dont leave the ac on for long etc.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama

Why bother to answer if you can't read (or if you did, can't comprehend) the post.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think this was the concern with cap and trade, but they knew they couldn't get it passed so he is going to find other ways around it (EPA). I don't know how much more the American middle class can take before he is out of office.  I mean, just now he is starting to say that recovery is going to take some time.  Before it was a matter of getting that stimulus passed so that unemployment wouldn't go up.  It went up anyhow and no money went to securing or creating jobs.  There is still unused funds from all of the craptacular spending they passed and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an injection of that pre-election.  People that don't pay much attention to actual politics will be fooled into thinking he delivered on a promise.  Once he has their vote, the bill - along with a healthy dose of reality will come.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• my light bill is $60 before we even use any power.... there's a $20 office fee, taxes and something called a "GRE" fee I have no idea why each customer gets charged such high fees but it bites the big
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• But but but...how will I charge my electric car????? LOL! This is what I find so dang hilarious about the push for electric cars...most electricity comes from COAL POWERED PLANTS. There is no environmental savings....just pocket lining.

Our electric rates already went up 20% here. If they end up removing the GREEN hydroelectric dams (HOPING the salmon MIGHT come back to the rivers they haven't been in for more than 1000 yrs)...it will go up at least another 20%. Yeah!

I'm glad to be moving...by the time 2014 rolls around I will be on my OWN wind power and will be getting a check FROM the electric company instead of sending them one.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Carpy, I did read it. I did understand it. But how does it make a difference?? Our bill went from 165 last year this time to 188, and we are being more careful. Sure it's going to go up because Obama said so.(or not). But everything has gone up. So why is this going to be any different?also, don't you think paying more at the pump is going to mean more on our electric bills?? Duh! And since he is trying to create greener jobs for the future so my kids can live on a healthier earth, I'll pay the extra and not complain that Obama single handedly raised my bill. Oh wait, he didn't.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I thnk I love you BabyBugsmama. A coal plant tried to build in our town but was run out because they are smelly and polluting. Perhaps this will make our eneergy cleaner so my kids have a nice planet to live on and raise their children.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Perhaps this will make our eneergy cleaner so my kids have a nice planet to live on and raise their children. ~ KitKat

Making energy 'greener' means more than high costs and dumping existing methods because 'perhaps' things will get better.

Making energy 'greener' means that 'you' (as in each and every person) starts USING energy wisely instead of just continuing to use MORE and hope that we can all still breathe. The problem is the same one that our oil use boils down to. People keep using MORE instead of using it wisely. People believe they NEED or are ENTITLED to own two or more vehicles, plus boats, campers, 4 wheelers, etc. The same thing applies to those who have a pantry stocked full of electric kitchen GADGETS instead of FOOD, leave every light, tv, stereo, and game system running.

I'm not willing to pay more so that others can waste more ~ and that's what it is. WASTE, not GREEN.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011